Is this Broody season or what is happening??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicklette 1, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Chicklette 1

Chicklette 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    First my Frizzle Bantam Cochin went broody.........won't leave the nest. I put her out every day when I ring them treats and she walks around, eats and eventually goes back to the eggs or even to no eggs and just sits there. This is my first experience as I am newbie and I have been doing a lot of reading on the forum, books, etc. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. I make sure she eats. Now I see that my little silkie girl is in a nesting box also sitting eggs. They do not seem to be fussy who's eggs they are. I had about 5 0r 6 of the her silkie eggs that had not been refrigerated so yesterday, I stuck them under the 2 girls. The silkie was bought along with her silkie roo partner and I know they have bred so I figured I'd just throw the eggs under them and see what happens. I also would like to know how to break a broodies cycle. I do not care about the lack of eggs, I just remember reading that this was hard on them. Any comments on the eggs hatching or breaking the broody??

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Some broodies can be separated from their nests for a few days to break them, while others are so stubborn that they will not rest until they hatch something!! I would just let her hatch the eggs. You could separate her from the other hens and cater to her, hand and foot. Food, water, a small area to walk around in... And eggs. [​IMG]

3. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    both cochins and silkies are fairly notorious for wanting to go broody a lot [​IMG] some people say they can break the broody by putting her in a small enclosure with absolutely no nesting materials whatsoever, so she physically cannot sit on a nest. i don't know how well it actually works though.

i'll trade you a non-broody laying hen for your silkie broody, hah. i've been wanting a broody, but all mine are laying! the grass is always greener, eh?

4. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My broodys do just fine. I give them treats in their nest and when they get hungry they jump down and eat. I've heard "show" people say they don't want them broody because the hen does lose condition. But not to the point that it's bad for them outside of showing.

I love watching them with their chicks every yr [​IMG]

5. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Now my EE is in the nest with the silkie sitting on the eggs!! Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the help. They do let me pick them up so I can see how many eggs they are sitting on because they will seem to sit on anything. I have to start keeping track of how many eggs I'm getting a day again so I know how many they have to sit on. I'll give it the hatching time unless I smell rotten eggs before then. When do I have to separate the mom and eggs/babies ??I just bought a small chicken hutch about the size of a rabbit hutch and I have to put it together but I thought that might be good. I do have 2 broody hens sitting so I don't know if it will be big enough for the 2. They only have 4 or 5 eggs between them that could possibly be fertile so that is all the babies we can get at best. I was going to use that as a brooder for the 8 babies I have coming the week of April 11th but, I can use some thing else I have. These would be due the 13th so they would all more or less be the same age which is helpful with integrating. Hope my EE is not going to need some eggs too!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  6. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Hey! I just went through my first broody experience in August! They make great mothers! I would have to say, that if you are going to put them separate, it probably would not be a good idea to put them together... My broody attacked her sister just for looking at her! They are very protective of their chicks. She never attacked me, as I had been her "Mamma" since day one, but she did attack my dog too (understandable). It's up to you! I put her in a cage for the morning (vs. leaving her loose in the coop) and then let her out to free range in the afternoon with everyone else, that way she had the choice to socialize or be a brat.

7. Chicklette 1

Jul 8, 2010
    Kentucky
    Will they leave their babies to go out with the other chickens? I will have the separate coop for her inside the enclosed pen for safety. My other coop is also in side the same pen. If I put her out of her coop, she would have to wait until I put her back in............is that ok?

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My chickens all free range. My 2 broodys are in the coop with the door open all day. They come out to eat when they're hungry and run back in. When their eggs hatch they'll hang out in the coop for a day or so before they venture outside...depending on the weather. The chicks stay with them at all times. The momma hens protect them. My harmless aussie dog walked by too closely last yr and got attacked...he's more careful to keep his distance now. I let my hens do their thing. They know better than I do. I use common sense and they fill in the rest [​IMG]

This is not advice...only my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by