is this broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by craftychicken, May 6, 2011.

1. craftychicken

craftychicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    hi,

when i came home tonight and let the chickens out of their coop into the yard, they all came running out except one. She was in the nest box all puffed up and screeching at me. she didn't try to bite me or anything.

here's a video:

and a photo:

[​IMG]

So is this broody? What is going on with my chicken?

thanks

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Some hens act like that when they are disturbed on the nestbox laying an egg.

I would expect her to be a bit more hostile if she truly is broody, but I suppose there are docile ones, i.e., not silkies. [​IMG]

If she's still there late tomorrow then I'd say you can congratulate yourself on your first broody.

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    She may be broody, or she just may be in the process of laying an egg and doesn't want to leave the nest.

I finally figured out my Ameraucana was going broody when she turned into a Velociraptor (really!). She growls like a tiger, puffs up like a turkey when you get close, and bites HARD. This was a pretty shy, sweet hen before. I would reach (with gloved hand) to try to remove eggs from under her, only to find that there weren't any. She has stopped laying, another sign of broodiness. When I found her on the nest nearly full time, I gave in and gathered up 10 assorted eggs, fixed up a nest box in a smaller hutch that's in my main coop, set up her own feed and water, and left her alone. She is brooding away, and mean as a, well, a wet hen!!!

Watch yours and see if she stays on the nest more than she is off of it. You should be able to tell after a few days.

4. craftychicken

Oct 29, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    maybe she had just laid her egg, but usually this hen lays in the morning.

i'll see what she does tomorrow

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    She is broody, look at the shavings on her back. She is hiding herself, so you can't find her [​IMG] I have some docile broodies and some that will make you cry if you mess with them. [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The sure sign of broodiness I think is that they stay on the nest all night. I read on here of an experienced chicken keeper (I forget who) who gives them two nights then believes them. The fluffing up at every intrusion is pretty characteristic, along with the growl, etc., but unless they stay on the nest all night, don't believe it.

I have 3 now (and no fertile eggs at the moment) who've been on the nest 2 or more weeks. I set them off the nest every time I go in there; usually they fluff out and growl and settle down right where I put them. I have to set them or push them outside to get them on their feet and pecking and scratching. I feel this way they get a little more food and exercise. I only hatch under broodies, and I get them off the nest and up and eating when they have real, fertile eggs, too. They won't stay off long.

7. CottonDandyBubbleFun

CottonDandyBubbleFun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Florida
    She's probably broody

8. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    i agree too, shes definitely broody

9. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like she wants to be broody. I'm with ddawn, though; generally I wait until a hen is on the nest for the second night running before I'll consider her broody. But with the shavings on her back, the fluffed feathers, and the growl, she is certainly guarding that nest. The biggest challenge with would-be broodies is that some of them will stay broody long enough to hatch a clutch, while others will give up early. If a hen is broody for the first time, I'll give her eggs that are not super important to me. That way, if she stays the course, she gets chicks and the flock gets a few more birds, but if she gives up, we don't lose critical eggs.

10. craftychicken

Oct 29, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    well, she did stay in the nest box at night, so i guess she is broody. the other hens don't seem to like it so much. i think we'll just try to break her out of it and see what happens. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by