Is this bruising?? (pic added---of handsome roo)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MamaMarcy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    We've had some issues with our bantam cochin roo with open areas on his comb. He was in isolation for healing for while then back with our averge sized flock of 10 hens and 4 muscovies and seemed fine until today. I'm sure someone is beating him up. In desparate need of a bath (he's a white frizzle), I brought him inside and stuck him in the sink with warm water...and noticed his right wing and half his right side has GREEN SKIN. I think I read somewhere that chicken skin turns green if bruised? Does that sound right?

I have him in our empty "bantam" mini house/run now, locked in the house end with a heat lamp to dry. I plan to keep him isolated for healing, then keep him awaay from the average sized flock. We have some baby bantams he'll get as a new herum (sp?) once they get feathers. Better him be lonely than beaten up...

Thanks,
    Marcy

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I was going to say infection at first. But I looked it up and most posts say that if the skin is green it's bruising. Unless he has an open wound somewhere that looks nasty, I would say it's just bruising then.

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    No open wounds...

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yup. It's bruising. Alarming the first time you see it, isn't it?

Sounds like a good plan to separate him for a while, poor guy.

Good luck.

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    VERY alarming. I'm so glad I had read a tidbit on here, so in the back of my mind I thought "was that bruising I read bout?"

He seems happy to be under a heat lamp, drying. He's going to be the king of the empty roost till the babies get big enough to join him. One of the muscovies is laying a clutch of eggs, so maybe she's the culprit.

Thanks for the info!!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Bruising, and without being there my bet would be that you have a drake muscovy causing the problem.

7. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    We have 2 muscovy drakes who can be obnoxious toward us...I've never seen them go after the chickens but in their coop it's probbly another story. They do seem noisier with the egg clutch growing.

I just checked on sweet Batman. His frizzle feathers have dried and my oh my he's clean and fluffy! My handsome boy. This was my 1st chicken bath. [​IMG] He seems to be feeling fine.

8. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    He's looking good this morning. His comb has some small scabs but no oozing. Green bruising is still there but he's moving fine. Here's a pic of him all clean & fluffy after his bath (and he SMELLS SO GOOD!)

I have his little bantam coop & run all set up for him. He's crowing and strutting this morning too, yay!

[​IMG]

9. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    He is so CUTE!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by