Is this buckeye a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MyPetNugget, Nov 18, 2013.

1. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

I was thinking it was a he, because it has thicker legs, a "droopy" tail, and is smaller than the girls.
    If you see the comb and think it's a pullet, just remember that buckeyes don't grow much of a comb.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are the girls to compare. I didn't get many pictures because they ran away and I couldn't catch them.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I appreciate any help. These chickens are 16 weeks old.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I am pretty sure it is a cockerel, however I have no experience with this breed. [​IMG]

3. MyPetNugget

Thanks! I just wanted to double check.[​IMG]

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    There's a Buckeye thread here on BYC that is very active (sometimes too active) that you could ask on for some expert opinions. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803253/the-buckeye-thread

Buckeye girls can get thick legs too...that's part of the breed standard which is thicker overall...and your roo would be heavier than your girls as the roo's dress out nicely for meat birds.

The comb is pale and tight (as a Buckeye has a tight pea comb), so I'm thinking female especially since you'd have better signs at 16 weeks.

The feathers starting a possible cascade for saddle is the only thing that makes me think roo at this point, but they are still rounder so it could be a hen with a funkier tail.

I'm just learning about the breed myself now (planning to add some come spring) so I've not got personal experience though.

Check with the Buckeye thread and you'll get some expert opinions.

Lady of McCamley

EDITED TO ADD: You had me curious, so I looked at some of my bookmarked sites on Buckeyes and your bird doesn't have the glossy dark sheened feathers in the tail that the Buckeye roo's get either, nor any hackles, and the roo's are generally 6 pounds by 16 weeks...so I'm going to say pullet?
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/4-6/buckeyes_all-american_chickens/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    pullets

6. MyPetNugget

He/she had a LOT more "droopy" feathers but they all fell of during molt. I guess I got the pictures too late.[​IMG]
    I did hear some kind of croaky crow this morning.

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Pullet

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not familiar with the breed much, but I don't see rooster characteristics. I'm thinking female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by