Is this buff orpington a hen or a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pieta23, Sep 10, 2012.

1. pieta23

pieta23 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm really hoping for a good brooding hen in this one, but the comb is looking a little big and red, plus the tail feathers are growing longer. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Hen. How old is she? Her comb may be reddening because she's close to laying.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  3. pieta23

Sep 9, 2012
    Great news, I didn't know that the comb reddens when they near laying age. She is 16-17 weeks old.

Thanks for the info.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    How old? Is the comb a single comb? In that picture it almost looks like a pea comb. Also, what color are the legs/feet. I couldn't quite make out the feet for some reason - they almost look feathered in that picture. And is that a zip tie on the leg that is already quite tight?

5. pieta23

Sep 9, 2012
    The legs and feet are yellow and the feet have some feathers. That is actually a legband and it's fine. I keep a really close eye on them now because I had one of the legbands get tight for some reason and cut right into the skin. I felt bad about that, but I didn't think it should be necessary to watch them as they are designed to expand.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Buff Orpingtons should have pinkish white clean legs. Are you sure you have an Orpington? Some poor-quality hatchery Orps may have yellow legs, but I've never heard of a feather-legged one.

7. pieta23

Sep 9, 2012
    I got this egg from a farm with mixed breed chickens. When I expressed interest in buff orpingtons, the lady said she had some eggs that were from her most "pure" orpington hen and rooster. So it is likely not pure-bred, but as close as she could come. Probably should've mentioned that in my original post....[​IMG]

8. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Looks like a hen to me, but Orps do not have feathers on the feet or legs. May be a mix. They start laying aroung 6 months. Yes the combs turn red just before they start laying. [​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Orp mix hen. She may be a good broody, you'll just have to wait and see...........

10. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    It looks like you have a Buff Orpington crossed with a Buff Brahma, that would explain the solid color (Buff Orp) and the pea comb, yellow and feathered legs(Brahma). How old is she? The red comb/wattles says "boy", but I don't see any hackle/saddle feathers that would actually indicate cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by