is this Buff Orpington a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by upriver, Aug 7, 2009.

1. upriver

upriver In the Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Hello-

My first flock. Supposed to be all females but I am thinking we got a rooster. Obviously the one is way bigger than the others and has a much more developed comb. I'd love it if someone could confirm this. It just looks so much different than the other 2 Orpingtons (see also 3 Araucanas).

[​IMG]

thanks!

2. ~*B*~

~*B*~ Songster

Oct 5, 2008
    Ohio
    looks like it.
    his legs are very thick and his tail
    (what i can see) looks rooish

3. danielbrown

danielbrown Songster

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    He likely is he roo, but I would wait to be sure.
    BTW Those Araucanas are not Araucanas they are EE(mixed breed).

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, he is a roo. You can tell by the bright golden plumage coming in on his wing bars and at the base of his rump, just before the tail. You'll also notice those saddle feathers in front of the tail will be pointed, in comparison to your pullets.

Side note - the other birds in the pic are 'easter eggers', not araucana. True araucana have ear tufts and are rumpless. They do not have muffs/beard. Very pretty though.

5. upriver

upriver In the Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Thanks!

I wouldn't know a "real" araucana, but that's what the feed shop called them. They do have tufts (I would call them cheek more than ear) but maybe I'll take a couple more pics and post another ID thread for them. This one I was just trying to get the suspect rooster.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The EEs have "muffs". They are a different gene that "tufts". You can see some tufts on my araucana on my web page.. http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/araucana.htm

The
    hatcheries tend to mislabel them and confuse folks. I hope this helps. I used to raise EEs too and they were always so much fun. I loved the different colors on them and the various egg colors they laid. Really cool birds!

7. upriver

upriver In the Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Thanks for the great info! Glad to know we have EE's and not araucanas, I'll let the dealer know and stop calling them that. I've heard Buff Orpington roosters are a little easier to deal with that others, hope so. I think we are keeping him, and not eating him. No crowing yet but we live in a place where thats not a huge problem.

8. classless chickens

classless chickens Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Elkton
    I believe roo. I have read that roosters carry their tails higher than hens. I also see saddle feathers and the comb/wattles are more developed. I have done extensive reading in Story's guide to raising......, encyclopedia of chickens, and Tending a small scale flock. You will definately know when he starts crowing. How old are they?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  9. upriver

upriver In the Brooder

May 6, 2009
    they were very young chicks as of Jun 3 (day we got them). I am guessing they were about 2 weeks old at that time (classic yellow fuzzballs from an easter card). So, 10 weeks or so is my best guess.

10. classless chickens

classless chickens Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Elkton
    Quote:Should start crowing by about 14 weeks depending, thats about when my B-O's started trying. I just found out my 1 Aruacana is a rooster and think one of my Black Copper Marans is a rooster. I always end up with more roosters than hens. It's really frustrating. I do love raising them just dont like raising them and having to get rid of them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: