1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Is this bulling or normal?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by danielb1990, May 25, 2018.

1. danielb1990

danielb1990 Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Hi i recently noticed one my 2 chicks head feathers are getting more messy and starting look like bald spot forming
    When i was watching them at one point the chick flattened out and other one pecked its head is this just working out pecking order type behavior or is this start of bulling

2. Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua

Chicken-lovebirdchihuahua Crowing

Dec 17, 2017
    North Carolina
    Can you post some pics please thanks!!

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing 5 Years

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    How old?

4. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Do you know how many males and females you have? Males mature faster than females and with some groups it's necessary to split up the boys from the girls early on because the boys become too rough.

Don't keep any that bully others or are too rough and bossy (boys or girls) . Keep your sweetest boy/s as personality is genetic so breeding aggressive birds results in aggressive offspring. Some people worry a sweet boy will have poor fertility but if the females like him you will have more fertile eggs than you know what to do with. A happy group won't display any aggressive behaviours and males should tidbit food politely for the girls. Girls should squat willingly for their male and not try to escape him.

5. danielb1990

danielb1990 Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    there around 10 weeks both female

6. danielb1990

danielb1990 Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Here some pics of them this first one the "normal" one (possible bully as done the pecking i saw when fighting over a cricket) q1.jpg

This is other quail whith small bald patch and feathers in constant ruffled look
    q2.jpg q3.jpg

7. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Are you sure the bully isn't a male attempting to mate?

8. danielb1990

danielb1990 Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    im not sure there only 2 of them in there and they both lay eggs

9. JaeG

JaeG Free Ranging Premium Member

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Females can be just as bossy as males. The head does seem to be the target for pecking too. Their personalities seem to play a big part in how they get along with other birds. Your bossy boots may be perfectly peaceful in different company but if she continues to bully the other female you'll have to separate them with a divider or rehome one and get a new friend for the one you keep. If you do end up bringing in new bird/s make sure they are the same colour as yours. I've found they will target and attack colours they haven't been raised with.

10. danielb1990

danielb1990 Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    ok cool and seems like they get on fine most the time the main thing happens when i add live food like crickets in like one grabs it and the other sometimes trys steal it off them hopefully it was just a "sort out peckig order" type thing and now they fine most the time

JaeG likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: