Is this bumble foot? Tricide Neo or something else?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lilki, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    I think this is bumblefoot? It's weird because she was limping a couple weeks ago but got better in a few days. Now she has this. My husband got some pus out of it yesterday but she is still badly limping today. Ive read on this forum to use tricide neo dip but I can only find it online. Is that the only place to get it without taking my duck to the vet? Is there something else I should be using, like iodine? Soaking is going to be a challenge, as she hates being handled [​IMG] What is the consensus on the most effective treatment?

[​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

It's difficult to tell from the photo because your duck has such dark feet, but if it's swollen, has a scab, and there was pus, it's likely that it's bumblefoot, a staph infection.

I'm (still) treating a Pekin drake with a bumble and after trying Vetericyn/Neosporin and wrapping, then oral antibiotics, I'm on treatment modality #3...clear iodine. The drake presented with a pretty large scab that, when gently removed after soaking, didn't reveal a "kernel", just some pinkish flesh. I sprayed with Vetericyn, slathered it with Neosporin, covered with a gauze pad, and wrapped it all up with Vetrap. After a couple of weeks, the foot actually seemed to be more swollen, so I followed with a couple of courses of oral antibiotics - no difference. A couple of days ago, I pried at the scab again (a new one, smaller but still black in color), and it was more difficult to remove. As it lifted out, it took a big "plug" of material with it - the "kernel or "seed" of infection. It left a hole in the drake's foot, and it bled. I took a cotton-tipped swab and dipped it in clear iodine and swabbed the hole out, using forceps to remove any of the kernel I still could see in there. I packed the hole with Neosporin again, covered it with a Telfa pad, and secured it all with Vetrap. I checked it after 2 days and the hole had closed and it appeared that new tissue had grown. I'm treating with the clear iodine daily (he's in a brooder with pine shavings) and hoping it actually heals this time.

If you haven't already read it, this thread may be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/827546/bumblefoot. Tagging @Miss Lydia , too, for her input.

1 person likes this.
  3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Posting an update on my Pekin drake's foot: I'm happy to report that the removal of the infection seed and application of clear iodine has definitely been working. When I removed the Vetrap yesterday to check on his foot, the spot where the "hole" had been just had a smaller scab on it and, even better, the general swelling in the area (especially the top of the foot) had decreased significantly. As I was applying the iodine again to the scab, the edge lifted up a bit, so I grabbed it and gently pulled it off. It lifted off fairly easily and just had a tiny bit of "plug" with it. Again, it bled (less this time), and I swabbed out the opening with the iodine, put a big dollop of Neosporin on the gauze pad against the wound, and wrapped it all up again.

I'm finally seeing the "light at the end of tunnel" - I really think he'll be able to go outside again someday! [​IMG]

4. brendaolson

brendaolson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    North Idaho
    What did you use for an oral antibiotic? I think my mallard has bumblefoot, but hers doesn't have the scab that is the telltale sign of bumblefoot. I've used the clear iodine, triple antibiotic ointment ointment, vetericyn, and I even started applying preparation H. The swelling is still there. Now she is pooping green slime and no longer laying eggs. She is still eating and drinking now though. I've been treating her for about two weeks now.

Attached Files:

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That maybe an infection in the joint. She def needs a vet and or Oral antibiotics.

@casportpony is a good hand at knowing which ones would work.

casportpony likes this.
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She needs to be seen by a vet ASAP! Bumblefoot infections can spread to the blood of the bird and kill them. Vet now!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. brendaolson

Apr 2, 2015
    North Idaho
    What do you reccomend I do if I can't take her to a vet?

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post some more pictures of the top and bottom of her foot?

10. brendaolson

Apr 2, 2015
    North Idaho
    These were taken today. I called around to my local vets. There aren't really any poultry vets here and I'm worried it would cost 350.

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by