Is this bumble foot? Updated with pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sydney13, Sep 17, 2011.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have a one year old Easter egger hen. About 2 months ago I noticed she had a small, whitish lump on the top of her foot. It seemed to stay the same for about a month then began growing. She developed a slight limp which has continued to worsen. The bump grew to about the size of a marble. I was going to slit it open and squeeze out any puss but then somehow it got slight open on it's own (maybe from another chicken or from her running around). When I looked at it I could see that inside of it was red tissue and no visible puss. I put neosporin on it and sprayed it with blue kot. Now about a week latter I see that the bottom of her foot is swollen. There is no scab on it but it's clearly swollen and her limp has increased. The bump on the top of her foot seems to be getting better since it was cut open but now the problem is in the bottom of her foot pad.
    Does this sound like bumble foot? I'm guessing it is but it seems odd that there is no scab on her foot pad and that this whole thing started with a lump on the TOP of her foot.
    The same hen had a foot problem when she was a few months old with 2 of her toenails falling right out. Maybe this is related...?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    sorry I don't know, but maybe if you post a pic somebody can tell you.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Gout?

4. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'd never heard of gout before but her symptoms do seem to indicate it may be articular gout. From what I've read it seems to be caused by a diet with very high calcium or protein. I feed her free choice layer feed (16% protein) but she mostly gets her food from free ranging. I don't really see how her diet could contain enough excess nutrients to cause gout though [​IMG]
    What would b the treatment (if there is one) for gout?
    Sorry about there being no pictures, my camera isn't working [​IMG]

5. sydney13

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Ok, got the camera working again so hopefully these photos may help.
    sorry, their real blurry but better than nothing
    So here is the bump on the top of her foot (the purple around it is just blue kot)
    [​IMG]
    here you can see how one foot pad is swelling up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm no pro at diagnosis but the bottom of her foot sure looks like bumblefoot

7. EMAW

EMAW Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Quote:X2, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in but you may have to go in from the top and bottom to clean all of the infection out.

8. imaturtlefan

imaturtlefan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    The bottom definitely looks like bumblefoot, Im dealing with 4 chickens, well take that back, 3 with it myself right now. One is all better...finally... other 3, 3 weeks in, still dont know if they are getting better or not [​IMG]

9. corrae

corrae Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2009
    I'm no expert with chickens, (I have them, but horses are my specialty) but from your photos it looks to me like soaking her whole foot in very warm/hot (not scalding, but as hot as you think she can stand) water and epsom salts might help. Soak her foot for at least 10 to 15 minutes, adding hot water to keep the temp. up. Any pharmacy/supermarket will have the salts--look for them in the wound care/band-aid section. They will help to draw out any infection, and they certainly won't hurt her or make anything worse. Good luck with her--you are a good and caring mom....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by