1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this Bumble Foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickNanny13, Dec 29, 2016.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I've read all the other posts but still not sure if it is Bumble Foot or what. Just found it today when I did my monthly dusting of the girls. It's hard & thought something was stuck under her foot, when I tried removing it's loose around the edges but stuck in the center. She & 4 others are in an enclosure (dirt flooring with shavings), roosts are 2 x 4 & have no idea what to do.

Is it a possible scab?

It's too late in the day, tomorrow will pick up some epsom salt (warm water) & try soaking her feet. Do I attempt to remove it? If there's an open wound, what should I apply?

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Looks like Bumblefoot to me.

Soaking in the epsom salts will help. If you pull the scab, make sure you get the core out. Pack the hole (wound) with triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn, then wrap it.

Here's some detailed info:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
    http://hencam.com/faq/bumblefoot

2 people like this.
  3. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    1 person likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    This is a reply to your questions under the "thumbs up" sign:

The ratio of epsom salts to water ratio is debatable. I would use the "recipe" for foot soak on the package of your epsom salts as a guideline . Epsom salts should help reduce swelling and inflammation. I would use warm water.

Let us know how it goes.

5. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Wasn't able to get out to get Epsom Salts, got the flu bug :( but I'm hoping I feel a little better tomorrow. Thinking warm water would be more soothing, would the "scab" come off easier (without surgery) soaking? I called my Vet today, the girl said she "thinks" they can went to check & after 5+ minutes hung up. I called the office again, then there was no answer but left a voicemail to have someone call me back. Called this morning & again this afternoon, went straight to voicemail. It's 5:48pm, have not gotten any call back, will be calling again first thing in the morning. Need to call other Vets in the morning.

Thank you Wyorp Rock.....You all have a Happy New Year!

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you're not feeling well, I hope you get better soon.

I would use warm water with the epsom salts. It's hard to say if the scab will come off easier, but the soaking will help soften the tissue and hopefully reduce inflammation. When the scab is removed you want to make sure you get the core out, some people have success with it the whole thing coming out after soaking, others may need to use a scalpel or some type of tweezers to get all of it out.

If your vet can do it, that would be best. If you are going to treat her yourself, then I would recommend that you wait until you feel better, make sure you wear disposable gloves and possibly a face mask. What you are dealing with is staph infection, so take the necessary precautions.

You are Welcome Chicknanny13 - Happy New Year!

7. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Wyorp Rock - Feeling bit better, enough to chase a chicken down, ha ha. The "scab" shrank enough I'm thinking I may try to soak & expel it myself; gloves for sure but thanks for the mask recommendation. My Vet does treat chickens, Hubby says wait until Monday, in the event I need his services.

I hope my girls survive the New Years celebration [​IMG] Here (Hawaii) we celebrate with the popping of fireworks which really isn't such a good idea anymore. There's so much 'illegal' aerial ones going off, sounds like a bomb going off, Hubby has PTSD & got his ear plugs in but it's still a hard time for him. So many dogs run off & the first year for my girls, may not get any eggs tomorrow [​IMG] There are some 'traditional' celebrations that need to be banned, it's caused house fires in the past!

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad you are feeling better!

The scab shrinking sounds good. Hopefully you will do just fine in treating her yourself, but it is nice to have a vet just in case.

Sounds like Hawaii celebrates! I live in a rural area so a few fireworks and gunshots is usually all I hear.

Hope all goes well, please keep us posted.

Happy New Year!

1 person likes this.
  9. ChickNanny13

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    GREAT NEWS! Went to the Vet, it's not bumble foot [​IMG] but it is a scab that's drying up, he says leave it alone & it will fall off it's self. Will be watching for redness, swelling, limping....Just to make sure. Wish I could get rid of this "bug". Thank you all & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That's Great @ChickNanny13 ! I'm glad you were able to see the vet.

I'm sorry to hear you're still feeling under the weather, I hope you get better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by