Is this bumble foot ?

It's not bumblefoot, I can tell you that much. But I need the answers to a few questions to tell you what it is for sure:

How does she sit on that leg, as in, does it hold normal position and range of movement?

Can she walk normally, or at all?

I can't make a decent guess without that information, but at first sight I think you have a hen who has had a broken leg or slipped Achilles tendon. That can be hard or impossible to fix once it's gone too long without treatment, and rehabilitation can take months.

If she is unable to walk, she will die sooner rather than later; they will persist for a few months, but rarely survive a year under such conditions --- without treatment, that is. It affects the whole body, not to mention their will to live; the fact that one of your hens is trying to kill her doesn't paint a happy picture of her daily life or prospects.

Sounds to me like you have some very aggressive birds in your flock and stress levels are high; this predisposes them all to disease not to mention gives them low quality of life. For the sake of the chicks and this injured bird, I would sort out your social diseases too, as a matter of priority. Vicious and abusive daily life is not natural to the species and it is distressing for them. Your little cockerel being hounded nonstop can potentially predispose him to becoming a seriously vicious rooster in turn.

If you don't have alternative runs to put them in, I strongly recommend you get some and separate the bullies from the bullied. The little girl pictured should have her own run where she can rest in peace and try to recover, possibly with the company of any chicks which don't attack her. All chooks need to be able to see one another at all times, basically, to prevent them losing their flock bonds, so when one day you reintroduce them, it will be much smoother than otherwise.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
You know, using commas, full stops, or paragraph breaks can really help in making sense of what you're saying. :)

Do you use calcium carbonate on their soil? It helps disinfect it, kills bacteria that causes smells, etc. I found cleaning out the coop regularly only made them sick because harmful bacteria, fungi etc all proliferate so much quicker than healthy ones do, so when you regularly clean out the whole thing you're removing the healthy populations faster than they can regenerate, whereas the harmful ones regenerate much faster... But, the only real cure for that is the deep litter composting method, which may well be not doable for you.

Your chicken has sores on her hock; they need treating with something, and preferably preventing from reoccurring, since if she regularly has wounds there, especially given that they will be in contact with the soil and feces, she will sooner or later get a serious infection.

If she actually walks/hops around on one foot, she may be ok, but with open sores she won't be ok for long; her whole body will be stressed by this, and by being attacked by the others, and it's only a matter of time before her health suffers from it (it's pretty much something you can guarantee unfortunately). In fact I'd bet she's already behind the others because of this injury, since that's how it goes.

Good luck with her. She's lucky to have an owner who cares, but if you don't take this problem seriously and act fast to fix it, you won't have a special needs hen for much longer, sorry to be so blunt.

Best wishes.

Is this better? I posted because I needed some help! Not someone with a hair across there #%*#!!. The question was do you think it's bumble foot? And yes I am really stupid when it comes to writing down my thoughts sorry it's just the way it is. Maybe I should give them way. What was I thinking. I get so much negative from my family because I have them. They are one of the reasons why I don't stay in bed and feel hopeless that I will never get better I will never see my daughter graduate from school or get married. Thank for the help

Last edited:
Is this better?
I posted because I needed some help!
Not someone with a hair across there #%*#!!.
The question was do you think it's bumble foot?
And yes I am really stupid when it comes to writing down my thoughts sorry it's just the way it is.
Maybe I should give them way. What was I thinking. I get so much negative from my family because I have them. They are one of the reasons why I don't stay in bed and feel hopeless that I will never get better I will never see my daughter graduate from school or get married. Thank for the help
All I'm trying to do is help you with your chook, but I can see that there are underlying issues that have nothing to do with the chook which make this a futile and aggravating situation for you, so I will desist now. I've said everything that needed saying for the animal's sake anyway.
Best wishes to you and your flock.

Back
Top Bottom