Is this bumblefoot in quail?

flowerchick2

Chirping
Mar 12, 2018
Perth Australia
Hi there,
I have a set up with two cages one side wire one side sand inbetween a nest box with hemp shavings. The older quail we rescued andaplaced with our 4 was bleeding on the sole of her foot and has a growth, also blaavkish but doesn't look like the flat black scabs of bumblefoot I see in chicken forums.
I don't think she is laying.
We have been soaking and then wrapping with a paste of triple C and Betadine every day and it looks better..
She is walking on it, doesn't seem to bothered..
Question should I try and pet off the growth bit or leave it be.. not sure if it will come off I don't want to hurt it..
IMG_20190421_125617.jpg
15559043347254933973422980352147.jpg
IMG_20190421_125617.jpg

I may be wrong, but that looks like an infection to me. I don't have personal experience treating bumblefoot, but first steps I've read online are to clean the surface of the abscess and to get the bird off of wire and onto soft, clean bedding.

Bumblefoot is essentially a staph infection that progresses to an abscess. Antibiotics can help, but the infected tissue typically needs to be removed. See if there's a vet in your area that sees birds and small animals. If you can't afford or find one, you'll have to look into home treatment.

I may be wrong, but that looks like an infection to me. I don't have personal experience treating bumblefoot, but first steps I've read online are to clean the surface of the abscess and to get the bird off of wire and onto soft, clean bedding.

Bumblefoot is essentially a staph infection that progresses to an abscess. Antibiotics can help, but the infected tissue typically needs to be removed. See if there's a vet in your area that sees birds and small animals. If you can't afford or find one, you'll have to look into home treatment.
She can choose if she is on wire or on soft bedding and she still is running around from one to the other.. they don't seem to find d wire unconfuncomfo as they spend the sand amount of time there then on the sand. I will try and great myself as vets here are a rip off, $100 just to be seen..

She can choose if she is on wire or on soft bedding and she still is running around from one to the other.. they don't seem to find d wire unconfuncomfo as they spend the sand amount of time there then on the sand. I will try and great myself as vets here are a rip off, $100 just to be seen..

You'll still want to isolate her while you treat. Also, realize that the birds have no real choice in where they stand because of the fact they're caged. Wire is usually what leads to bumblefoot in these types of setups—it only takes one little piece of hardened poop or rust to make a cut.

I hope you have success in treating your hen at home and I wish her a speedy recovery.

You'll still want to isolate her while you treat. Also, realize that the birds have no real choice in where they stand because of the fact they're caged. Wire is usually what leads to bumblefoot in these types of setups—it only takes one little piece of hardened poop or rust to make a cut.

I hope you have success in treating your hen at home and I wish her a speedy recovery.
X2!

Back
Top Bottom