1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this bumblefoot?? Pic included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rocky Road, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I have two roosters who have slightly swollen feet but it doesnt' seem to hurt them. Can anyone tell me if this is bumblefoot and if it can go away on its own or if I have to operate.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the dirty feet! Thanks.

2. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    HI,

I am somewhat new to chickens. It looks like bumble foot. I actually took my gal to a vet here as she had swelling between her toes as well. (I wasn't sure if I could get it out correctly) I soaked her feet in epsom salts first.

This is the link that explained how to remove the bumble yourself.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

Gretchen my GLW
    [​IMG]

3. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    I would say yes to the Bumble foot issue.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:You say "swollen," swollen as in red in color means infection, then you need to do the surgery. If either is limping, do the surgery. Otherwise, leave them alone...sometimes they go away on their own.

5. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    This looks like bumble foot to me. I came across a surgery method using a google search, that i used on one of my hens. I also used an antibiotic for a few days after surgery, the bumble foot is gone. if you do the surgery, be sure to keep the feet bandaged and dry, changing the bandages every 2 days.

6. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Ok so I just finished with Rooster #1 because he just had the one foot and I wanted to see how it went. I dug the whole scab away but there was no "plug". I dug deeper to make sure that there was nothing and only got a few white yellowish pieces out that were not bigger than the tip of a ballpoint pen so I'm not even sure that they were plugs. So I am not sure if I should go ahead and do the other rooster (one foot at a time because he has both feet), although his feet look a little more swollen. Did I maybe not cut deep enough? The hole I made ended up being slightly larger than a pencil eraser.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by