Is this bumblefoot? Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bheila, Sep 10, 2008.

1. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I was told my duck might have bumblefoot. He won't breed or swim. He also trips a lot and his feet bleed sometimes. Everytime I chase him to catch him his feet will bleed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    It is definitely a growth of some type. Bumble foot is an staph infection, I take it from your post this has been going on for awhile, if it was staph, the duck would most likely be dead by now. Bumble foot starts from a scratch or cut, of course it is hard to tell from a picture. Here is more information , hope it helps.

Staphylococcus
    Synonyms: staph infection, staph septicemia, staph arthritis, bumblefoot

Species affected: All fowl, especially turkeys, chickens, game birds, and waterfowl, are susceptible.

Clinical signs: Staphylococcal infections appear in three forms -- septicemia (acute), arthritic (chronic), and bumblefoot. The septicemia form appears similar to fowl cholera in that the birds are listless, without appetite, feverish, and show pain during movement. Black rot may show up in eggs (the organism is passed in the egg). Infected birds pass fetid watery diarrhea. Many will have swollen joints (arthritis) and production drops (see Table 3 ).

The arthritic form follows the acute form. Birds show symptoms of lameness and breast blisters, as well as painful movement (see Table 3 ). Birds are reluctant to walk, preferring to sit rather than stand.

Bumblefoot is a localized chronic staph infection of the foot, thought to be caused by puncture injuries. The bird becomes lame from swollen foot pads (see Table 3 ).

Transmission: Staphylococcus aureus is soil-borne and outbreaks in flocks often occur after storms when birds on range drink from stagnant rain pools.

Treatment: Novobiocin (350 g/ton) can be given in the feed for 5-7 days. Erythromycin and penicillin can be administered in the water for 3-5 days or in the feed (200 g/ton) for 5 days. Other antibiotics and drugs are only occasionally effective.

Prevention: Remove objects that cause injury. Isolate chronically affected birds. Provide nutritionally balanced feed.

3. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    I suppose it's off to the vet we go. He's had this for some time. He didn't come from a very good situation.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I'm not sure about your duck, but I love your avatar [​IMG]

I hope you get it figured out.

5. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    How's your duck? What did it turn out to be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by