Is this bumblefoot? Please help!

Qquails899

Songster
Dec 26, 2019
Hungary
Today when I picked up one of my quails I saw that one of her feet is swollen. I soaked her feet in warm water and I took the photo afterwards. I've already seen bumblefoot on a chicken but I have no idea what to do. Is this even bumblefoot? What should I do?

Attachments

• 20200603_130633.jpg
    20200603_130633.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 49
Yes that does appear to be bumblefoot. Treatments include soaking the foot in Epsom salts water, removing the scab, and trying to get the solid pus out of the abscess. Here is some info on treating:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/
I treated her, but there was no scab, instead I removed that thing you can see on the photo and then tried to get the pus out, but there was only blood. The swelling should go down in a few days, right?

Hopefully, it will. It looks like bumblefoot, but it could also be a cyst or tumor, I suppose, since it bled.
It didn't get better, It's really hard and red. The blue spot on her foot is where I cut into it. Should I do something?

Attachments

• 20200610_181258.jpg
    20200610_181258.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 14
Can you take her to a vet? It is hard to know what that is exactly. Hard and red sounds like a tumor. I would treat it by using Chlorhexidene or povidone iodine on it daily.

I had a chicken with bumblefoot but by the time I caught it the infection had formed a hard ball in her foot. I looked up on youtube how to remove it because when we called the vet no one there had even heard of bumblefoot. Used lidocaine to numb and my husband whispered sweet nothings in her ear. She did great. Kernel came out easy. I kept.her in the house for several weeks until her foot was completely healed. And of course her sisters came in everyday to check on her and make sure she wasnt getting anything they werent getting lol

Attachments

• 20161020_135713.jpg
    20161020_135713.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20161019_185532.jpg
    20161019_185532.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 5
Can you take her to a vet? It is hard to know what that is exactly. Hard and red sounds like a tumor. I would treat it by using Chlorhexidene or povidone iodine on it daily.
No, our local vet is...well, not really good. He killed my friend's dog by giving some unnecessary stuff to him. And I think he doesn't work with birds. My quail is now lying all day and won't stand up, but yesterday she was alright.

Back
Top Bottom