Is this bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Murphyslaw123, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Murphyslaw123

Murphyslaw123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Sorry about the second picture, it's not so clear. Anyway, I have a small flock of 4 and a half year old's. This one is a black star. I've never had to deal with bumblefoot, so I really don't know more about it than what I've read here. She's swollen a bit and limping some too. Otherwise she's acting normally. The black spot on the bottom of the foot just isn't scabby-like. It's almost like a big skin tag. Is this still bumble? I did order some tricide neo in case - that will be my first attempt at fixing her. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It sounds and looks to be from what I can see of the pics. Is the one foot much more swollen than the other? Here are pics of one of my bumblefoot surgery. Along with some instructions. Note: GRAPHIC!

[​IMG]
    This was before surgery. We soaked her foot....well, wrapped it with a wet warm washcloth. Wiped the dirt off, poured peroxide on it before starting just to try to keep any germs out.

[​IMG]
    Her's didn't really have a scab. Sometimes you have to dig for the infection spot.

[​IMG]

Scored it open.

[​IMG]

Squeezed it gently. Ugh!:sick

[​IMG]

More peroxide, scraped it out with hobby knife...looks like a scalpel.
    [​IMG]

More peroxide, filled hole with triple antibiotic ointment and wrapped with a sock cut in strips.
    [​IMG]

I put her in a dog crate for a few days because somehow they always get the bandaging off. It stayed swelled a bit for about a week. Now she is fine. Feet are same size and no more limping. Hope this helps.

3. Murphyslaw123

Murphyslaw123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Thanks for sharing! It's totally yucky, but I know it's necessary sometimes. Going to try a week or so of the tricide neo and look for any improvement. If there is some I will keep at it. If not, I may be looking at a surgery. It's always daunting to start a new procedure, but I've been through tube feeding and draining ascites before, so this shouldn't be much worse than that! :) Thanks again!

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    You are very welcome. Please keep me updated. If you have any questions, please let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by