Is this Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Twilight Sparkles, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Twilight Sparkles

Twilight Sparkles In the Brooder

Dec 28, 2018
    Hi. I’m still pretty new at chicken raising and would like some expert advice if Penny has Bumblefoot. She follows me everywhere and was sitting on the porch by the window waiting for me to come out again when i noticed her paw being a bit red when she raised it up to scratch her head. So i went to inspect and found both sides were slightly red with small black scab on her right paw. I was planning to give her epsom salt foot bath but because she was so messy i ended up giving her a full 723EA585-C4FD-4ACC-B0FD-D497520DE0DC.jpeg 81B9EE50-B456-4F68-9518-04EEEB99EFA9.jpeg D87567EA-8650-4E46-9662-27FF3F4FB622.jpeg 726D43A0-33EB-417E-9CB5-D67C0205AAD9.jpeg
    28272202-E6A0-4272-81C2-A3D0A69F95D9.jpeg
    bath applied Leucillin (antiseptic spray) and nano spray and manuka balm. She is still very active, eating, pushing her friends around when they want to share her bowl etc.

Would really like some advice please. (2 pictures before and 2 after bath)

staceyj likes this.
  2. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Yes it's bumblefoot. You will probably have to remove the scab and pus plug inside that wound otherwise it will not heal and can become a serious problem. Once the plug is removed you can use the same treatments you mentioned (antiseptic and balms) plus wrap it to keep it clean and keep her isolated somewhere for a day or two. There are articles on bumblefoot surgery that can help.

3. Twilight Sparkles

Dec 28, 2018
    Thank you. Was really hoping i could get away with no surgery. Will have to get someone to help me do it.

Chick-N-Fun and staceyj like this.
  4. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017

Yes it is the startup of the scabbing
    I just finished treating bumblefoot Successfully with help of @staceyj

I use oregano oil in water and soak
    It
    Oregano oil is antibiotic and anti-inflammatory and soften the skin fast

Then Remove / pull the scab I never find the root as my rooster have a big scab of bumblefoot
    But still I use a QTip and push baytril inside his wound and wrap it with Silver Sulfadiazine Ointment and Voilaaaaaa!! It start healing so fast

Now my both rooster don't have any sacb and their footpads are back normal

5. Twilight Sparkles

Dec 28, 2018
    Thanks for sharing. I will ask the hubby to help with the difficult part tonight.

Chick-N-Fun and staceyj like this.
  6. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    Yes

Twilight Sparkles and staceyj like this.
  7. PouleChick

PouleChick Crowing

Apr 6, 2016
    SW France
    Looks like you've caught it quite quickly - good luck with treating it!

I just wanted to say she is lovely - she looks just like my Doris - I've never seen a coucou Silkie other than mine so nice to see she is not alone!! I want to go and bath her now yours looks soooo fluffy after a bath!

8. Twilight Sparkles

Dec 28, 2018
    Thank you! I love cuckoos and out of all my chickens, Penelope is just the sweetest. We just finished taking the scab out before her bedtime. Hopefully 12 hrs of sleep will make her feel better.

staceyj likes this.
  9. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    Good job for spotting it quickly. She’s so cute!

You’ve received great advice from everyone here.
    One thing I noticed though is that the spot on both feet where the bumblefoot is /is trying to form, seems to correspond exactly to where that little fat roll from her pinkie toe rubs when her toes close. This has the potential to become a chronic problem for this bird.
    So let’s examine some of the reasons why that happens.

Does she roost at night?
    What size and shape is the roost? Or does she sleep in a nest or on the floor?

Does she need more frequent pedicures, including feather trimming, toenail trims, and foot bathing, to keep her chubby skin folds free of friction causing substances? She’ll likely need frequent foot inspections.

10. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: