Is this Bumblefoot?

Will L

Hatching
Nov 18, 2020
I recently got a couple female Muscovy ducks and have them in a large orchard with our chickens. The whole area has grass and clover with mulch around the trees and a small pond. Today I noticed one of the ducks limping slightly and sitting down more frequently. I took a closer look and found she has small scabs on the bottom of her feet. I think it might be bumblefoot but it doesn’t really match any of the pictures I’ve found online. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 728E876E-63D0-4322-8559-308E17D643AE.jpeg
    728E876E-63D0-4322-8559-308E17D643AE.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 2F3DE7E6-B34F-4748-810B-9B93D1D70077.jpeg
    2F3DE7E6-B34F-4748-810B-9B93D1D70077.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 15
Are you aware of the conditions the birds were being kept in?

For such a young age, to be developing these dermal sores, it's almost a given the birds were being kept in poor condition. I would agree with you it doesn't resemble Bumblefoot very much. To me, it looks rather like a case of ammonia burn which can occur when birds are being kept on soiled, fecal filled bedding for long periods of time.

There can be variations, but birds can look like this, if they're being housed in a poor environment :

1605752681920.png

https://www.joneshamiltonag.com/resources/technical-bulletins/prevention-paw-lesions/

Considering you're keeping the ducklings in a clean, dry area, with fresh feed and water, that alone will be the main contributor in recovery of their footpads, but you could soak their feet in Epsom salt waters, which may help with any pain, "kill" any bacteria, and help soften the scabs a bit.

Thanks for quick response. I didn’t see the conditions they were kept in but in hindsight I did smell a touch of ammonia outside their coop when I picked them up. When I get more ducks in the future I’ll be sure to inspect them more closely.

She is feeding/foraging/drinking/swimming well which is good to see but she definitely has a limp. Is there a natural supplement I should be adding to her food?

I’ll do some Epsom salt baths and keep monitoring her. I’ll let you know how things go.

Thanks for quick response. I didn’t see the conditions they were kept in but in hindsight I did smell a touch of ammonia outside their coop when I picked them up. When I get more ducks in the future I’ll be sure to inspect them more closely.

She is feeding/foraging/drinking/swimming well which is good to see but she definitely has a limp. Is there a natural supplement I should be adding to her food?

I’ll do some Epsom salt baths and keep monitoring her. I’ll let you know how things go.

B vitamins, specifically niacin(B3) can be added to their feed to support leg health. Besides that, just make sure she's on a diet formulated for waterfowl, or all poultry.

Hope she starts feeling better soon.

Back
Top Bottom