Is this bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JodyJo, Nov 24, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I need some help in figuring out what is wrong with my chickens foot.
    I think this is Bumblefoot...she has been limping for several weeks now...not really getting worse...
    any suggestions would be great!

[​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
  3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Yes, it is. I have not personally had to deal with a full blown case of it as I spotted one bird with it right as it was starting and scraped off and pulled tiny plug out...wrapped it with neosporin for a few days and its been great ever since..

Here are some of the links I read and followed to take care of it on my own

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=575024
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

good luck and let us know how it goes!!!!! ( Oh and happy Tday!)

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I love how fast people respond on this site! Thanks so much, we will work on her tomorrow!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

5. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    There is also a post on here about bumblefoot without the surgery. Look it up since yor bird's foot isn't very terrible and you won't need to worry about getting the plug out of there.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  7. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
  8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    If I understand it correctly, bumblefoot is caused by their feet staying too moist. In that regard I wonder if it is similar to Immersion Foot (a.k.a. Trench foot) in humans because that too is caused by prolnged exposure to moisture.

In any case, I have been using straw to provide a barrier between my hens' feet and the ground to protect against moisture and cold.

9. yup. sure is. i delt with one just yesterday AM. do a search on here for it, there are some really GOOD threads on it. It is still small enough, you may be able to get away with just soaking and maintenace. No surgery.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  10. BurdBrain

BurdBrain Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    If you can't handle the idea of surgery there is a solution. I quickly resolved my bird's bumblefoot with a simple Tetracycline paste. I wish I had progress pics! Your local feed store should supply soluble powder antibiotics like this. Mix it with some water until you have a thick, moist solution, and apply, holding the bird and allowing it to soak. It's best to do it in the evening when the birds are winding down.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by