Is This Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miss Chicks, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Miss Chicks

Miss Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    This is our first summer with chickens so we have a lot to learn. One of our hens is limping and favoring her right foot. I don't know what this is and why she is limping. Please help.[​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have never seen anything look like that. My bumblefoot is always the classic black scab., Is that as bumpy as it looks?

3. Miss Chicks

Aug 19, 2014
    It is as bumpy as it looks. They are almost like skin tags.

4. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Well I would think it would need to come off/out. Let me send a message to Seminole wind and get her to look at that...wow!

5. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    What does the top of the foot look like?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That's interesting. It almost looks like a tumor. Are there a lot of sharp little rocks around your coop and run? I have a terrible time with rocks being excavated all around my chicken area, and lots of bumblefoot, but have never seen that.

7. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It does doesn't it. Seminolewind just posted about using a candeler to look into a bumble foot. I wonder if you could see anything using a bright flashlight in this foot.

8. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    If you pick around the edges does it look like it is something foreign in there...like it might could come out or does it just look like the foot oozed out?

9. Miss Chicks

Aug 19, 2014
    The top of her foot looks fine. We cleaned it up and nothing oozed out at all. We don't have any sharp rocks, they are in a coop with straw bedding. I will have to try looking through with a flashlight to see if anything is in there. I hope it isn't anything serious...she is such a sweetie.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is it recent? Sore? Swollen? It does not look like the usual bumblefoot. Kind of looks like canker. I wonder how long it's been forming.

If it's a tumor, you may not be able to remove it because it may be vascular. Hope to hear your replies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by