Is this Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jessica89, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    I have just taken a few photo's to try and find out what is wrong wit Hattie's foot.

Do you guys think it's Bumblefoot?
    She is on anti biotics and I have been given her epsom salt baths but it doesn't seem to be improving.
    As you can see, it looks like an abcsess but the swelling goes all the way round to the front of her ankle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S There is no black scab... well not that I can see!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. DairyChickenGal

DairyChickenGal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2014
    Virginia
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Has the duck been out in the cold much? What kind of surfaces does the little one walk on?

4. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Nooo.. it hasn't been that cold in the UK and they have a shelter in their enclosure.

Their floored is a wire mesh but I pile soooo much straw in there.. I made sure I walked on it and I couldnt feel the wire.

I just can't see a scab at all.. I was wondering if i could use a hot needle on the lump??

Thank you for the link!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A hot needle is not what I would do - their pus is chunky - not liquid.

I would follow the clear iodine and Epsom salt compress treatment.

This is from Haunted55

I use Decolorized Iodine. You can pick it up at WalMart for cheap and that bottle is going to last a long, long time. Let the duck swim in a tub or whatever of warm water, just deep enough for the feet to be up off the bottom. Let them play for 15 mins to a half hour, whatever you can do. You want the skin to soften and the pores to open with the heat. When done, dry them and the foot up and then apply the iodine to the swollen area, not just the top of the lump. You need to paint the whole lump, let it dry and then let the bird go. It's that simple. the iodine is going to go into the skin and start killing the infection immediatly. In a few days, 3,4, or even 5, when you go back to look, you should see brown or black scabs. Soak again, same way as above, peel the scab, see if there is any of the hard cheesy looking pus behind the scab that you can easily get out with tweezers. Once done, dry the foot and paint again with the iodine, dry it, I blow on their feet, they seem to like it and they just relax. Make sure you not only get the iodine inside the hole, but again all of the lump. You may have to do this 4-5 times with bad ones, less with the smaller ones. The whole trick to this is not try to rush the process. Soak, paint, dry and then wait. You do not have to do this everyday and really, could do harm that way. Let the iodine and the body work. At first you will see thick scabs coming off, with all kinds of stuff stuck to the back. This is good as the body is pushing the poisons out. At the end of treatment, the swelling is down and when the last scab comes off, there will be nothing but healed skin behind it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Is she limping?

-Kathy

7. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    ou'll find it in the pharmacies next to regular iodine.

-Kathy

10. Jessica89

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    Thanks Kathy!
    I will have a look tomorrow as I am from the UK and can't seem to find it online here.

Trip to the Pharmacy tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by