Is this cecal or cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RebekahM, Mar 3, 2016.

1. RebekahM

RebekahM Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2016
    I can't tell the difference from the photos I have looked at
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Look like foamy cecal poop, which in my flock is never normal. Could be coccidiosis, might even be worms. Do you know which bird pooped it?

-Kathy

3. RebekahM

Mar 1, 2016
    No I do not, I have 1 chick who is very light an weak, I took her out of the pen for a while to observe her, and when I came back in to observe the other chicks poops I just saw this one. Every other poo I saw looked very firm and normal except this one. The chick who is light and weak was walking fine and acted like she was looking for something to eat but her croup was completely empty and bony

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You should probably bring that one inside and start it on Corid. Do you have a kitchen scale? Would best to get a baseline weight on it as well.

Corid powder - No less than 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 day, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
    Corid liquid - 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

Make fresh daily.

-Kathy

5. RebekahM

Mar 1, 2016
    Thank you! That was what i was planning on getting, I have seen it at my local feed store. Should I treat the whole flock?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Won't hurt to treat all of them.

-Kathy

7. RebekahM

Mar 1, 2016
    Well I have an update and some new questions. I brought in the chick that was looking so sickly (and my girls' other two favorite chicks) for observation. The sickly chick was isolated from the other two all night long and had a very healthy, firm, normal looking poo with white urates & all. She still seems very willing to eat, she's alert, but somewhat slow, and happy to be cuddled up with the other two when i put her in woth them this morn. I gave everyone a syringe full of the treated water last night to make sure they all ingested the meds. Should I continue to medicate them, could it be something else.....?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I would continue with the medication and I would keep watching her poops to make sure that her cecal poop is also normal. Cecal poops are the creamy ones that they do a couple of time a day, so they can be a little harder to find.

-Kathy

9. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I can see 2 or 3 white spots in this poop. look like minute tape worms. if you see another poop like that check if those white spots are moving. also check if inside the normal poop there are small white spots and if they move.

not the best pic but you can see the minute tape worms - small white spots.
    [​IMG]

10. RebekahM

Mar 1, 2016
    I think the white spots are urates. I have checked several cecals yesterday and today and no worms as far as I can tell

EDIT: my husband thinks I'm crazy... he was telling Josie (please note- he was talking to josie the DOG) he would have liked to know I was going to dig through chicken poop before we got married. hahahahaha

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by