Is this chick a frizzle? Lots of pics!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dolly85, Jun 22, 2010.

1. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I'm pretty good at identifying the breeds in my bantam assortment from Ideal, however this chick is feathering out differently. Is he/she perhaps a red frizzle cochin??? That would be awesome, I was hoping for a frizzle!!! I've owned lots of chickens over the years, but never a frizzle so I have nothing to compare it to.

[​IMG]

Here is my chick compared to another of the same age.

[​IMG]

And my favorite chicks of the bunch! The blue silkie only has four toes, lol.

[​IMG]

I love pics, so here is the whole crew. I ordered 20 and recieved 21 live bundles of joy!!

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Could be. You'll have a better idea in a week.

3. Tara Rose

Tara Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree too soon to tell. I just got my first frizzle and he/she is two weeks old
    [​IMG]

4. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    I am a total newbie - but I got 2 frizzles this spring - and both of them had wings like that when they were little too - look like curly eyelashes! Good luck!

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

It is a little early to say for sure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! [​IMG] My frizzle is the sweetest chicken that I have! [​IMG]

This is my frizzle bantam cochin at 10 days...

[​IMG]

This is her at 8 weeks...

[​IMG]

6. Tara Rose

oh sgtmom52 I hope mine turns out as nice as yours, I don't think mine is a bantam

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  7. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Looks like it to me too. Here's my frizz.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Yes.....eyelashes..... that is exactly what these feathers look like! He didn't have any visible feathers until he was 4-5 days old and they have a definite curl to them. I'll update with pictures in a week or so, hopefully he gets a few more by then. My other chicks are already starting to get tails and shoulder feathers, he is just waaaay behind! Poor guy.

9. Tara Rose

Tiss, your baby is so cute, it looks like he has hair on his head and you combed it. How old is he/she in the first picture? Is it a bantam?

10. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:Looks like a frizzle to me! I noticed with my hatchery stock frizzles, they are all behind when it comes to feathering. Some are 12 weeks old and still have bare spots! I know it isnt the feed, or being picked on, I think its either a frizzle thing, or, (more likely) a poor hatchery stock thing. If I ever get frizzles again, it will be from a breeder. Dont get me wrong, I like my birds and will keep them, but I know the quality is just not the greatest.

Your chick is waaaayy cute, I wonder if its going to stay reddish colored? Mine are black or white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by