Is this chick a Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MustangChick, Apr 7, 2016.

1. MustangChick

MustangChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    I had a previous post about a strange chick that chowed up in a lot of Marans chicks that I bought at Tractor Supply. I was lucky in that it was a lovely Gold Lace Wyandotte. This chick was also in the same batch. I'm wondering if it is a Marans, or some odd breed, as well. I've taken a picture next to one of the obvious Marans. The chick is 6 1/2 wks old here. If you have a guess on the breed or sex, please feel free to venture it.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its feathers shine green and purple (iridescent) in the sun.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I'm not sure if it's a maran, but it is a rooster.

3. MustangChick

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    Oh, well, great:/ But, if you compare it to the one behind it in the bottom picture...I still hold out a little hope;) The combs on that one and another in the lot are reeeeally big and pink, comparatively. But, you're probably right[​IMG]

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry.[​IMG]

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Not a Marans....Marans should have copper eyes.

And watch it....that's a lot of comb for 6 1/2 weeks...*could* be early maturing girl, more likely male. A couple of more weeks should give you a good idea.

Your bird may be an Australorp.

LofMc

6. MustangChick

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    Lesson of the day: Be careful when purchasing straight run from TS...out of 6 birds, only 4 seem to be what they claimed. It's ok, though. I like them all - I'm not picky. Although the 3:3 split of roos to hens isn't as appealing[​IMG] Thanks to both of you for your input:)

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    That's actually expected odds for straight run...which means shipped without sexing. You get about 50/50. And feed store lots are notorious for being inaccurately sorted.

Hatchery sexing of chicks is about 90% accurate...and I've held that pretty much. 1 roo out of 10 birds, although, when you get unlucky I've also gotten 2 roos out of 2 chicks.

Next time, if you want to assure females, get the sex links (look at photos first so you know what you should be buying).

Enjoy your flock.
    LofMc

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012

9. MustangChick

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    I guess I'll wait a few weeks to see if it starts growing feathers on its feet, then. Right now, the feet and legs are just mostly black. Thanks for the link:)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    maybe be Black Australorp if clean footed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by