Is this chick a roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by naturegirl, Apr 19, 2009.

1. naturegirl

naturegirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Central New York
    I ordered from Mcmurray, I received 1 rare breed and This chick is the odd one in the bunch! Is it a roo and does anyone know what breed he may be?? This chick also has feathered feet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Wow I don't even know what it is??? [​IMG] But hopefully someone will... I do know it's hard to tell on some of the lil guys

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm fairly certain it's a cockerel. [​IMG]

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    no clue [​IMG]

5. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    It looks like an EE mutt of some sort.

If I had to guess I'd go with a big boned pullet. I've been through a few rose and pea combed chicks now and noticed that even when little the roo's have much more comb than the others.

But I guess its a rare breed... didnt see that part.

Boy am I stumped!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:What is it that makes think that??. I am trying to see what you see, as I am terrible at judging sex on these little guy's.

AL

7. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I think it's a roo because the bow of the wing isn't feathered yet. Roos get the feathers down the center of the back, on the bow of the wings, and the tail much later than pullets do.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What is it that makes think that??. I am trying to see what you see, as I am terrible at judging sex on these little guy's.

AL

The "stance", the thick legs, the bare wing bows.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008

AL

The "stance", the thick legs, the bare wing bows.

AAAAAHHHHHHH HHHHAAAAAA !!! I see it now. what else??, I have 35 new babies I am trying to sex in the brooder.

AL

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

This works best when you are comparing chicks of the same breed. Apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by