1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this chick a rooster or pulled?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lclubb37, Oct 7, 2016.

1. lclubb37

lclubb37 Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Spring, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    While you didn't include age, it appears this bird is in the 3-4 week range - at this point it is too soon to tell as the chick is not of a color pattern where gender would be apparent based on the plumage that is present. You also did not include breed - the chick appears to likely be a leghorn, which would make the seemingly advanced comb development for age a non-issue, especially given that it is pale rather than pink, but confirming breed would be key in assessing what *can* be seen at this point.
    The best option for you is to wait another 3+ weeks and post again with the bird's breed and age at the time of the photo being posted. When you do re-post, do so with a photo that shows the bird from the side, in full body profile - photos with hands holding the bird and/or taken from odd angles, such as from above in the middle photo, do not show the bird in the best angles to be assessed for gender.

3. lclubb37

lclubb37 Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Spring, TX
    Yes, this is a leghorn and it is almost 4 weeks old. I'm thinking its a roo because it's comb is bigger and more pointy than my other leghorn and has been since I brought them home. It's hard waiting to figure it out but I will post more pics and better pics in a few weeks. Thanks so much[​IMG]

4. lclubb37

lclubb37 Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Spring, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are a few more pics. And the brown one, is it a brown leghorn?

5. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Both white leghorns in mu opinion are cockerels and answered brown leghorn in your other thread!

6. lclubb37

lclubb37 Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Spring, TX
    If they are roosters, I'm gonna have to get rid of them. :(:(:(. Gonna give them a few more weeks and see how they mature. I'll post more pics then.

Thanks

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Leghorns are quick to mature and have large combs. Judging by the fact that the comb hasn't reddened yet, I'd say pullet (so far, it's still a little young to tell).

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm thinking cockerels

9. lclubb37

lclubb37 Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Spring, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This white leghorn is 5 weeks old. Can you tell if it's a pullet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by