Is this chick deformed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NaefNaests, Jan 31, 2014.

1. NaefNaests

NaefNaests Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    This chick was born 2 months ago. It's a Reza Asil. Only three hatched but the more they grow the more this chick looks very odd. Notice the joints on the legs, the breast bone is way more pronounced. What gets me is the other two are just fine, healthy weight, no bald areas, but this one, I don't know. It acts and behaves like nothing is wrong but why does it look this way???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes cockerels will develop feathers way slower than pullets. Are the joints swollen compared to the other two? There are some diseases such as viral arthritis (tenosynovitis) and mycoplasma synoviae that can cause swelling of the hocks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  3. NaefNaests

Sep 17, 2013
    Yes, but they always have been. Not swollen like there is irritation or inflammation, they just look "odd" . Not normal. It's also the most skiddish chick. It needed help out of the shell he was almost shrink wrapped and was not happy since day one. Did you take a close look at his breast bone? The others are not protruding in such a way.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Usually when the keel is so prominent, the chicken is not eating enough or something is wrong with their absorption of food. I know nothing of the aseel breed--maybe someone else can take a look.

5. NaefNaests

Sep 17, 2013
    Thank you for comments. I'm going to feed this one by itself see if there is a change later. Maybe the others don't let him eat. SO we will see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by