Is this chick different from the others? (Red Rangers)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thelongacre, Apr 15, 2016.

1. thelongacre

thelongacre New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi, all! We have six chicks, supposedly all Red Rangers. One of the chicks is significantly darker in color and smaller than the others (and has been since we got them at four days old). Her (or his?) attitude is also much different from the others. Very inquisitive, not scared of people or loud noises, always comes up to our hands. Any ideas about breed? Thank you! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. MaratManor

MaratManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

Thinking its a RIR! Also a cockerel...

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

He's a Rhode Island Red, and most likely a cockerel.

4. MaratManor

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia
    Also you seem to have 3 cockerels out of your RR bunch too!

5. thelongacre

thelongacre New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Virginia
    Thank you!! Yeah...we've been calling him "Roo" for quite awhile now. I'm afraid that 4 of the 6 chicks are cockerels - as only two of them have light colored, small combs, and the rest have very pronounced and very red combs.

6. LeroySouthpaw

LeroySouthpaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    West Virginia
    x2!

7. thelongacre

thelongacre New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Virginia
    I know! Haha, I was really hoping we'd have more pullets than that! I'm thinking we'll keep the two pullets and the RIR - and I guess we'll be learning how to slaughter the rest of them :( I'm kind of bummed about it, but they're already fighting a bit, and they are a dual purpose breed after all. Thank you for your help!!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. LeroySouthpaw

LeroySouthpaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    West Virginia
    I highly recommend you search youtube for tutorials. That's how I learned. Also, skinning a chicken isn't nearly as easy as they make it look in the videos. Good Luck!!!

9. MaratManor

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

I'd totally take them if I had the space (I'd take every chicken from everyone)! You could possibly try and re-home or sell them! If not it'll all work out, too bad Roo's can't just get along [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  10. MaratManor

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

I love my Red Rangers though literally the sweetest chickens, hubbys wants to fry them up but oh no...they're my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by