Is this chick feed safe to feed to my adult birds?

Crax

Chirping
Oct 4, 2020
Texas
I was wondering if it was safe to feed my chickens that are full grown this food since they are running out and we need to get rid of this bag of feed somehow because we found out it wasn’t the “right” food for our chicks, we had to get medicated feed instead but had already bought this feed so now it sits and instead of buying more of the food the regular adults usually eat which is the purina oyster strong I think; the folks are insisting I feed them this until we can go get some more feed there’s a tiny bit left so I’ll mix some of the chick feed with it if it’s okay to do so not the whole bag of course. I just read that as long as it’s not medicated they should be fine but I honestly don’t know if it is or not we just had to get the other chick feed because it had an ingredient for cocci and the previous didn’t..anyways here’s the ingredients the brand is called bryant
A714990F-CA62-4CBB-A1A1-F73FD46D9DB7.png

That food should be fine for chickens of any age.

If you have hens that are laying, make sure they have a source of calcium (like a separate dish of oyster shell), because laying hens do need more calcium than that food has in it. Hens are pretty good about eating the right amount of oyster shell, so don't bother trying to mix the "right" amount into the feed. Just serve it separately and let them choose how much to eat.

That food should be fine for chickens of any age.

If you have hens that are laying, make sure they have a source of calcium (like a separate dish of oyster shell), because laying hens do need more calcium than that food has in it. Hens are pretty good about eating the right amount of oyster shell, so don't bother trying to mix the "right" amount into the feed. Just serve it separately and let them choose how much to eat.
Sadly I don’t have any oyster shell on me but I do plan to get more of their regular feed tomorrow I may pick up a small bag of oyster too then

Sadly I don’t have any oyster shell on me but I do plan to get more of their regular feed tomorrow I may pick up a small bag of oyster too then
If it's just a day or so, the calcium won't be a big deal. But if you want to feed them an entire bag of chick starter, then the oyster shell will be important.

You can also offer them the shells from any eggs you eat. Just eating their own eggshells would not be enough calcium for them as a long-term thing, but it might be helpful until you do get oyster shell and/or layer feed again.

I decided I’ll pick up some oyster shell tomorrow and I’ll get the layer feed after they eat what’s remaining of the chick feed so we can free up some storage space for when we do get more layer feed unless that isn’t a wise idea...
If it isn’t guess I’ll need to get both but I don’t think the protein listed on the label for the feed isn’t much? Correct me if I’m wrong so I think they should do OK for now then again I don’t know how much protein is Too much for them

I decided I’ll pick up some oyster shell tomorrow and I’ll get the layer feed after they eat what’s remaining of the chick feed so we can free up some storage space for when we do get more layer feed unless that isn’t a wise idea...
If it isn’t guess I’ll need to get both but I don’t think the protein listed on the label for the feed isn’t much? Correct me if I’m wrong so I think they should do OK for now then again I don’t know how much protein is Too much for them

That sounds like a good plan.

The protein level is fine for adult chickens, even if you feed it for months or years.

As long as they've also got a dish of oyster shell for calcium, the only reason to switch back to layer feed is if YOU want to. Either way is fine for the hens.

That sounds like a good plan.

The protein level is fine for adult chickens, even if you feed it for months or years.

As long as they've also got a dish of oyster shell for calcium, the only reason to switch back to layer feed is if YOU want to. Either way is fine for the hens.
That’s good to know I’ll have to compare the prices of the feed and decide if I wanna keep feeding them the purina or bryant with oyster shell on the side but I’m sure they both are around the same price if I’m being honest

Back
Top Bottom