Is this chick going to make it or what can we do to help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlels, Nov 17, 2011.

1. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    I am putting 3 pictures below of a chick that hatched this morning. It pipped on Tuesday at about 3 pm (today is actually day 21). It made it's hole a little larger and then nothing happened. One of the other chicks hatched yesterday afternoon and pushed this egg over and a bunch of greenish liquid began to come out and cover the paper towel. We just left him thinking that he would keep pipping internally and then bust out. Well, nothing happened for HOURS again and his peeping stopped so my hubby quickly reached in and tried to roll him back so the hole was straight up. His beak and the hole of the egg were completely glued to the paper towel. He managed to gently separate it and turned the chick back hole side up. Again, nothing for hours but he would make little peeps and open his beak a little. So, this morning, again, no progress so I read a thread on here from someone who gave very detailed info on how to help and when. We followed his instructions and kept the membrane moist. There was no bleeding. His beak was stuck to the shell so we had to dampen it up to get it to come lose. My husband then began to chip away some of the shell around the egg and we then put him back. Waited. Nothing for a few more hours but he started peeping really loud. Husband took him out again and the white just slipped right off of the top of him (head area). He put him back again and in no time the chick pushed himself out the rest of the way. Since then, he has not stood up or straightened out his neck (it's been about 2 hours). He rolls around, chirps a lot, hasn't opened his eyes at least that we have noticed and his belly is gigantic. All the other chicks keep pecking at him and walking over him. He scrambles like he's trying to get up but just can't quite get it. Is he just tired or is he not going to make it? Oh, also, the little cord is still stuck to his bottom too. He keep dragging his shell around the incubator with him. When he came out, there was a little splotch of blood where the cord connects but since then, there is no blood in that area.

Hubby thinks there is no way he is going to make it. What do you all think? Is there something we could do or just let him? Is he just resting?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sometimes, they just need another night in the incubator. If you're done with the hatch, I would recommend, taking the health chicks out (after they fluff up), and then put down a clean paper towel, and lay the baby on that. Just leave the incubator run another night, with him in there.

I've found that some of them hatch a little bit too soon, and need another day or so to "finish".

That's about all you can do,

Sharon

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I doubt he will make it, though sometimes they can surprise you. I give them 24 hours if they don't make progress by then they likely won't.

I know it sounds mean but helping them out can be a disservice to the overall flock health, very often slow unthrifty chicks make for problem or weak chickens later and this can be potentially gennetic.

4. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I don't have much experience, my first hatching was last week, my second last night, but don't get too attached. [​IMG] One of mine didn't make it and yours looks in worse shape.

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2
    I hope he makes it. After going through such an ordeal to come into the world, it would just be awful if he couldn't stay in it.

6. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    Yeah! He is actually doing much better. He is up on his feet and stumbling some but at least he is working on it. He also has been holding his head up better. I'm just keeping an eye on him for now.

We would not have helped him out except that because he was flipped the sticky stuff got him stuck to everything and he couldn't move his beak or order to keep pecking out. We haven't helped any of the others and they all hatched fine. We are still waiting on one that is pipped and one more that isn't pipped at all, but it was put in the incubator a day after the rest and today was the due date for the rest of them so he has a little time.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I think we're all guilty of helping sometimes.......

8. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:I think we're all guilty of helping sometimes.......

Yes, indeed!

9. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Sending little peep prayers your way..I hope he/she makes it and turns into a strong bird for you!

10. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    Whooohooo!!! Can't hardly tell which chick he is now. :) He's doing great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by