Is this chick gonna make it? What should I do now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbiejones, Jan 15, 2015.

1. newbiejones

newbiejones Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. newbiejones

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    [​IMG]
    I'm not quite sure what to do. She's a little early with the cord attached and some blood that looks like it's coming from the air cell. I had to help her out. Should humidity be lower to help dry the blood? Idk what to do at this point but let her rest and check in the morning. Fingers crossed she makes it to join her brother and sisters.

3. newbiejones

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    [​IMG]

4. newbiejones

Jan 9, 2015
    North Texas
    [​IMG]
    Looks like she was upside down.

5. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Give it time. Sometimes chicks kick out faster than they should and part of the shell remains attached to them. Some are even out before their abdomen is fully closed. Often they make it just fine with only a little bit of extra attention for the first day or so. Leave her in the incubator with the high humidity until the blood vessels fully dry up and close. The shell should fall off on its own.

1 person likes this.
  6. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    How did this little guy turn out? I have had this happen twice. Rookie mistake, I broke the cord myself the first time and the chick died. The second time, I left it in the incubator until it fell off on its own, and she lived. She was weak, a runt, and splayed legs. I was able to strap her up and get her walking correctly within 3 days, but she is still a little smaller than the rest

7. Turkeytrot

Turkeytrot New Egg

Jan 15, 2015
    I am curious about the splaying legs. I have a turkey that was born last night and it cant hold its head up or stand up. It just kinda flops around and lays on its back. Any suggestions on what I should do.
    Thanks

8. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom

It looks to me as though you tried to help too early and you nicked a vein.
    This caused it to bleed a little and making him/her weak, thus causing her to hatch early through being stimulated, or because you pulled some shell away and she fell out. Then they lie, still asleep (because they weren't ready to leave).

I'm not saying this is exactly what has happened, but I have made this mistake before, and I have lost one this way, but I have also saved many 'breach' chicks going the wrong way, or being last to hatch, have become tired or the membrane too leathery to get out, who would have suffocated if I hadn't intervened, even I had done it a little early..

SO depending on how early she came out, or how much blood she lost, or whether her yolk was completely absorbed and her intestines had been drawn into her tummy, depends on whether she lives or dies. Lots of warmth and rest, with the company of her other little friends to keep her reassured with their chirps, and eventually when she fluffs up, try to feed her cooked egg yolk and make sure you teach her quickly to DRINK as she will be dehydrated from losing blood.

Hope she's alright.x

9. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Put the cooked mashed egg yolk in a clean jar lid, maybe with a tiny bit of warm ish water for added fluid.
    If she survives she will be wobbly for a bit and appear as the 'runt' and sleep more than everyone else for about a week, then after 2 weeks you won't even recognise her :)

10. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I don't know about turkeys, but what has worked for my chicks has been strapping the lower haves of their legs together. I read about it online, and it has worked miracles twice. Get a roll of that sports wrap that is self adhesive. Cut a thin strip about 4 inches long. Wrap one end around the leg, just above the toes, then go behind the legs to the other leg. Wrap the other leg, leaving enough slack for the chick to spread their legs a little more than shoulder width apart. Wrap them securely, but not tightly. You don't want to cut off the circulation, but you don't want it to slip over their toes, either. The chick will pick at the strap, and so may other chicks. Both times I have done it, I have noticed immediate improvement. The chicks are quickly able to stand on their own, and seem to enjoy being able to. I read that it is normal for this treatment to take a week or two to work, but both chicks I have done were two days old. Both of them were walking perfectly, without the strap, after three days of wearing it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by