Is this chick in trouble or is this ok? Pictures included.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by donnaboydjones, Feb 6, 2013.

1. donnaboydjones

donnaboydjones Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday my Americana eggs start pipping and this morning 4 hatched. This morning I noticed one more had started pipping and then this afternoon another. The first one is still in the same amount of pipping as it has since I noticed it and the second one has already hatched. The first one is chirping a lot and is able to breath. I don't want to bother it if its ok, but how do I know? Is it normal for some to start first , but end last?

2. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    it is not odd for it to hatch out later than one that has pipped later. but i would put it back in the incubator and elevate the humidity. taking it out for pictures may have dried out the membrane alot and it needs to be pliable so the chick can get out.

3. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    Yes that can be normal. Once they break through and can breath they really can go at their own pace. Some may be less than ideal positions in the egg, or a thicker shell or weaker chick. The idea that they all hatch at the same time is really only closely over the 24 hr period. There are to many variables to really even go through. There is a lot going on in there the hole looks somewhat unusual in shape usually it is closer to a circle that they cut out so maybe in the process of cutting the circle the shell broke differently and is now taking more time to cut through. Keep it warm and wait, if it is going to hatch out it will and if it can't then it probably would be week and have a tough time surviving.

4. donnaboydjones

I did elevate the humidity and when I touched the shell lining it felt very dry. I hope I didn't do anything thats now going to prevent it from hatching. Should I do what I've read where some say to wrap a wet paper towel around it and then put it back in the incubator to add some moisture?

5. donnaboydjones

I noticed that the lining of the shell felt very dry, should I do anything? I've already increased the humidity. It's still chirping, but since 6:00am, it hasn't gotten it's shell open any further.

6. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    If it's too dry you can mist it with water, like from a spray bottle to get those membranes most. :)

7. donnaboydjones

Spray the whole egg or just where it's cracked? I don't know if you can see the pic, but thats its beak sticking out. How often should I try misting it? Also, I just two out of the five that hatched completely, the top of their heads look as if some one put gel on it, like its caked down. Is that from not enough humidity?

8. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    You can mist the whole egg--it helps to up the overall humidity in addition to getting the membrane itself wet.

I actually think the slicked down heads are normal and will eventually poof up but I could be wrong about that! lol

9. donnaboydjones

Thank you for your help!!!=)
    I have a borrowed 1602N Thermal Air Hova-Bator and when someone told me to up the humidity I just added more water. Is that the way to increase the humidity? I wasn't given a owners manual with it. Your probably right about the heads. I think I'm just getting paranoid about what I did or didn't do.

10. donnaboydjones

Just misted the chick and the entire white lining is super hard. I think it's stuck in there.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by