Is this chick sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ImportTheBest, Mar 9, 2017.

1. ImportTheBest

ImportTheBest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    I can't say which breed because several look so similar still but I will have the breed list below, just in case it makes a difference.
    [​IMG]

This chick seems much lower energy than the rest and I just can't seem to catch a peek of it eating. I gave them all a drop of nutri drench on arrival, and I gave this one as much of another drop as I could get in its beak this morning.
    [​IMG]

It seems to be resting most of the time but I'm comparing it to so many breeds and meaties as well, so I can't quite tell if I'm just being overanxious.
    [​IMG]

Please forgive any errors, I'm on my cellphone and the BYC app.

[​IMG]

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Give it some water through a syringe to be sure the chick isn't dehydrated. Then if its not eating take a little bit of the food you are giving them and mix it with some more water so its a bout the consistency of oatmeal. Then give it to it by syringe. Hopefully she makes it but some sadly just don't.

3. ImportTheBest

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    If I dip her beak in the water then she drinks a sip each time. I have both FF and crumbles in the feeder and no syringe! I'll see what I can dig up though. The kids and I can dash to a nearby pharmacy after lunch at the latest though. I'll try again dipping her beak lightly in the FF to see if I can get her to take a bit in. Actually I'll mix some crumbles with lukewarm water so it is different from the FF and then attempt that.

Their water currently has about 1/3 dropper of nutri-drench in a quart of water just to try and get a bit more nutrition in her.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I think that is your barnevelder chick. Sometimes a bit of sugar in the water you give them can give them a spike of energy, at least enough to start taking in food and water.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Try to get her hydrated. Drop plain water, sugar water, vitamin water or electrolytes beside her beak with a qtip, your finger, syringe - whatever you need to do to get water into her. After you're satisfied she is hydrated, then offer wet chick starter.

How warm is your brooder?

6. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I would not put food in a syringe..
    I was told a little molasses and sugar gives them a boost ..

As wyorp rock asked how warm is the brooder ? Is she near the heat? Is her butt clean or plugged?

7. ImportTheBest

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    Sorry for the silence, it was a long morning of chick care and homeschooling, and I wasn't able to update even though I did read each reply immediately!

I managed to get some wet mash in her by scooping some on my pinky finger and having her swallow down tiny little bits. I also made sure to help her have several sips of the vitamin water. Then she slept for a while. I had my daughter watch them for a while and she saw her eat some crumbles but not drink of her own free will. And just now I watched her eat and drink before exploring a little and then falling asleep again. Yay!!!

8. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah !! Sounds positive!!

I mixed the liquid medicine in with the feed so if they eat they get it and if they drink they get it !! I homeschooled my girls too, busy times.

9. ImportTheBest

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY

Lol very busy times indeed!! Thanks for the idea, I'll keep it up my sleeve just in case she still needs help tomorrow. [​IMG]

10. ImportTheBest

May 5, 2012
    Lex, KY
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by