Is this chick too young to ID?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 2winds, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 2winds

2winds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2017
    IMG_6438.JPG IMG_6439.JPG IMG_6440.JPG I think this is my free exotic chick, from Murray McMurry hatchery. I am wanting to identify the breed, any guesses?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    cute, as it grows, I would keep an eye on the toes. Males have bigger feet. good luck.

2winds likes this.
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    2winds likes this.
  4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2017
    US
    I have ordered from Murray Mcmurray too, and tried to figure out the exotic one. You kinda have to wait till they get a little older. Even if i did guess on that one, a lot of different chicks are yellow. If you want a sure answer, i would probably just wait a couple weeks!

2winds likes this.
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Clean legs, yellow skin, white plumage, can't see the comb yet. Not much to go on. What do they offer in their "rare" category that's all or mostly white?

2winds likes this.
  6. 2winds

Jun 18, 2017
    Thank you. I
    Thank you. When I agreed to the free exotic chick, I hadn't thought it through to the end. When I started digging for breed possibilities, & saw chickens like the Yokohama rooster I thought, What have I done?! They are beautiful, but I don't know that I am ready for 4ft of tail feathers!

7. 2winds

Jun 18, 2017
    @debid they have White: Langshans, Cornish & Yokohama. I ruled out the Langshans because they had feathered feet. I think the Aruacana was also on the exotic list but I ordered 3 of those, so I crossed them off as well because she/he looks nothing like them as far as feathers. Time will tell, as they say. I was never good at waiting for my Christmas surprises either!

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Yokohama would be super cool and that would explain the light red stripes, too!

They're notorious for sending EEs as their "rare" breed but I don't think so on yours.

BTW, if it's a male, the roosters are desirable to some so you'd probably have an easy time selling if you don't want him. But I hear the long tails are never THAT long from hatchery stock.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    2winds likes this.
  9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    judge how you like, I look at feet, and ankle thickness too. works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by