Is this chicken just molting or something worse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bbowen, Nov 4, 2011.

1. bbowen

bbowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    My Barred Rocks are almost 2 years old. They've never really lost a lot of feathers at any given time. So when this hen started to lose hers I got concern. This morning, she was stumbling around like she was drunk and squatting like a duck. She's somewhat better with that now but still doing it. I'm going to try to post pics and a link to a video.

Thanks for any help.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/celestprof/sets/72157628053891194/

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Looks like a hard molt to me. Sometimes it seems to affect them more than others, as in, making them feel bad. I'd give some extra nutrition -- and make sure she's eating and drinking.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I have seen my little Ellie stumble like a drunk with a hard molt. Extra nutrition including extra protein, hand feeding (because they can be too loopy to eat enough on their own), keeping safe and warm and cozy with extra TLC gets them through.
    JJ

4. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    My BO is molting. No where near as hard as yours. But I feed a scrambled egg each afternoon which she shares w/ her sister who is not molting. She had a very light appetite for about 5 weeks and now that she's really pushing out feathers, her appetite is finally picking back up and I don't have to separate her to feed her. She's getting enough food on her own.

6. bbowen

bbowen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2009
    Moira, NY
    OK, thanks folks. I gave them all some scrambled eggs with flax meal and some dried mealworms. She's eating and drinking ok. I picker her up to try to check her out and she made one hell of a fuss screeching and kicking. So I let her be. They don't like to get picked up but they don't normally carry on like she did.

7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yup, I remember one member -- actually I think it was speckledhen, a mod -- talking about how one of her lap chickens that normally loved being cuddled did NOT want to be touched during a hard molt.

8. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    One of my girls is going through a really hard molt, and when I first saw her I wanted to cry. She was squatting and walking in circles and just plain miserable. Not my sweet little gal! Even though it stinks, it's kind of a relief to see that we're all in good company in the same boat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by