is this chicken run idea ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lisa202, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Hi All,

My coop is coming as a kit, so I'm good there. But I will be making my own run and have this idea and just want to run it by all of you to see your thoughts on it. I have yet to see one like this...

I will be putting hardware cloth over all sides including the bottom (to avoid digging 12" under and 12" out to the sided as I plan on making portable) Except an opening for the coop door and ramp.

The top will be slanted (like house roofs- upside down v shaped) and will have wire covering with those corrugated roofing panels over the wire. I want to provide shade and make sure rain and snow run off to the side instead of coming into the run. I may even put gutters on each side or put something on the ground to steer the water away from the run.

Can you find anything wrong with this set up?

Thanks for your input.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello Lisa-

Now, this is just my opinion, but, if you're making your coop portable. I wouldn't put a bottom on the run. I think it's kind of small for the grass to poke through, plus, can you imagine them scratching on that? And chickens do love to scratch. What about just locking them in the coop at night for security........

I imagine you'll get plenty of other ideas, so hang in there. Did you look at all the coops on the coop page? Lots of variety there. Good luck and hope your coop turns out fabulous!

Sharon

3. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Hi, thanks for replying,

The area that I'm putting them in has no grass, and if it did, I hear it doesn't last long anyway. I would put a layer of hay over the wire. I'm just worried about rats getting in the run even in the day when I'm not around. But then I don't want the chickens to be scratching on wire either. What to do-what to do.

4. Little Red Chicken

Little Red Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2010
    I also have 1/2" square hardware wire as the bottom of my run. The run is not portable so I just threw down some clean soil and peat moss a few inches thick and that seems to be enough. The hens still scratch but don't go deep enough to get to the hardware wire plus I get great drainage with the peat moss and no smell at all. I think your idea will work fine.

5. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I think it sounds very workable. The only thing you might consider is pounding a long piece of rebar or a t-post into the ground at each corner and then wire-tying the corner posts to the rebar or t-post. That way if the wind kicks up it won't catch your corrugated roof and tip your run over. either one would be easy to pull up if/when you want to move your set-up. I say this based on experience of living on a ridge where a light breeze is about 25 mph- we get tired of fetching lawn furniture, roofing panels, etc. lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by