Is this cocci(coccidiosis)?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggcellent, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Eggcellent

Eggcellent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    [​IMG]

I found one dead 5 week old chick... And I have another sick one that I quarantined. This is the poo it produced in quarantine. I originally thought they got attacked by a cat because they had blood on their feet/toes... The one that is still alive was lethargic and VERY cold to the touch. I put it under a heat lamp and about 2 hours later, it was flying around acting fairly normal. It was actually back on top of the brooder trying to get back in with the other chicks. I honestly just thought it was going to die when I put it in the other heated brooder, but it seemed to get quite better.

Anyway, I thoroughly cleaned the brooder after quarantining this one and I have at least one more normal acting chick with bloody/purplish stool. Does this sound/look like cocci? I am waiting for the feed store to open to try to get sulmet - none of the TSCs around here have any in stock. I never heard of chicks getting physically cold to the touch due to cocci. They are all in the basement, which is about 68 degrees by the way\\.

Please give me any advice and thanks in advance!

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Did you give them or her anything purple to eat like blueberries?

That looks really bad. If you didn't give anything colored to eat I would keep that chick as far away from everyone else as I could and wash your hands a lot.

3. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    I didn't give them anything blue or purple. I guess the only weird thing I gave them at all (besides chick feed) is carrot peels and green lettuce.

4. Eggcellent

Aug 30, 2009
    Michigan's Thumb
    The really odd thing is this particular bird seems to be getting MUCH better. He could barely hold his head up... He felt very cool to the touch - like 70 degrees or so. He would not eat or drink. Now he is running all around and even flying. He is eating and drinking like normal as well.

It is not red at all - much more like purple.

After I found him on the big brooder, I put him in an aquarium with a screen on it so he can't spread whatever it is he has all over. I am 100% positive that at least 1 other bird of the remaining 10 has this as well because I found exactly the same stool in the box I put them in while I was cleaning the brooder. I am going to try to figure out which one(s) are currently showing symptoms and quarantine them as well.

The big question is: Should I treat with sulmet or does this just not look like cocci?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Usually chicks are lethargic before the bloody droppings. I would take the two chicks with the bloody stool and put them in a cage over wire. No litter. Let the droppings pass right out, then trash the droppings. Treat the whole flock with an anti-coccistat (sp?). Without an autopsy, it is always hard to pin something 100%. If the drugs are too expensive, you could cull the two. If it is cocci, and the bird has recovered, it will be a carrier. You could keep it separated until the flock is older. Putting the other one with symptoms in with the sick (but recovered) bird would keep her company.

Make sure the birds have plenty of food and water, so they don't look into the litter for food.

6. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    you can also give the sick ones some yogurt. it helps their digestive system a little. natural bacteria and all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by