Is this cocci? If not, what could it be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LPOHHomestead, Oct 13, 2011.

1. LPOHHomestead

LPOHHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Indiana
    We picked up 10 3-week old pullets over the weekend from a local family. We got 5 barred rock and 5 silver laced wyandotte.

The day after we picked them up one of the wyandottes seemed to be breathing through her mouth, had a funny chirp and the next morning she was dead. Last night another wyandotte had the same symptoms and we also noticed blood in her poop. We isolated her, cleaned and disinfected the brooder, waterer and feeder. I added some ACV to everyone's water. This morning, she was dead.

We're keeping their temperature right around 80 and they are separated from our older flock. We've got this young group in the garage for now.

Is this coccidiosis or something else? What do you recommend we try? I'm running to the local farm store this afternoon for supplies. We can't afford to lose this whole group. Thanks.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm glad you have them seperated. It sounds like coccidia. I recommend that you purchase Corid (amprolium) at your feed store, it'll be in the cattle section. Purchase either 9.6% liquid solution or the corid 20% soluable powder. Most likely you'll have to use an eyedropper to administer the mixture to your sick birds 3-5 times a day to be effective...the sick ones wont be able to drink the medicated water on their own. Dosage for the 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc per gallon of water for 5 days. The corid 20% soluable powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. For both corid products, make a fresh solution daily.

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

It does sound like cocci but, if they do show more respiratory symptoms, keep a general infection in the back of your head.
    The treatment is completely different because you would use antibiotics, rather than antiparasitics.
    For now, I'd start them on cocci treatment.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. LPOHHomestead

LPOHHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Indiana
    Quote:Yes, there was blood in her stool.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Blood in stool is the final sign just before death in that particular type of cocci. It's imperative to immediately treat with corid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by