1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this cocci in 3 week old meaties??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindsayB, Mar 30, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I have 6 meaties that are 3 weeks old and have been outside in a mini-tractor since 2 weeks. When they were week old chicks they would have a few poos here and there that were pinkish. I didn't really worry about it bc they seemed very healthy. Last night we were expecting some storms and a good amount of rain, so I brought them back into the garage and put them in their old brooder...This morning I was putting them back into the box to carry them back outside and noticed some red poo in the shavings. It was only one poo, but it was definitley blood. I put them outside in the tractor and they acted fine...I went out there about 30 minutes ago and there are 2 new poos with alittle blood in them. Everyone is very active, eating and drinking....totally normal, execpt for the 3 poos I found.

Do ya'll think they were just stressed out from being moved last night, or is it cocci?? I would think that with cocci they would be acting different... I'm definitely freaking out at this point...

2. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I would put medicine in their water. It is better to be safe than sorry

3. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Should I treat my 3 laying hens too? the are in a separate coop but sometimes I let them out in the yard with the meaties? I've never dealt with cocci before...

4. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Okay, Went to tractor supply a little bit ago and bought Corid. $22 for a small bag!! Geez....I just finished putting their gal waterer out with the medicine in it and they are drinking. Hope this takes care of the problem!

5. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    Did it help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by