1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this coccidiosis in my 3 week old EE/Ameraucanas???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmcourt, Mar 18, 2011.

1. cmcourt

cmcourt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Two of my three EE's are exhibiting symptoms. If it is coccidiosis is amprolium the best option and should I switch to a medicated feed?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. 3 weeks old, Easter Eggers
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Feathers fluffed up, looking hunched and cold, still eating and drinking but not a lot, still run about and try to fly some
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? about a week
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? all three of them
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I got them from a local feed store that said they had been there a few days. Birds were in pine shavings in the store.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Dumor chick starter, water, chick grit
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Some looks normal, some looks on the edge of diarrhea, and there is also some watery diarrhea.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself if needed.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Will try to get one.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Brooder with pine shavings. I change it twice weekly and add a fresh layer each morning.

Thank you for your help.

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    If those are the only symptoms it does sound like coccidiosis. I would us amprolium to treat them and definitely put them on medicated feed. I would not medicate with amprolium and then give them medicated feed on top of that. Do the treatment first and then switch to the medicated feed after treatments. I am trying to remember how much corid brand amprolium you use if it is powder in a quart of water but will have to go look it up cause I can not think of it for the life of me right now.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Liquid that is 9.6% amprolium or corid name brand is 1/2 ounce per gallon of water for 3 to 7 days.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Corid dosage is on the label. It is 16 oz per 100 gallons of water. (Note: 1 oz = 30cc)
    That is .16 oz per 1 gallon of water
    .16 oz = 4.73 cc which is about a teaspoon. A teaspoon is 5 cc
    Note ml = cc (same thing)

Use for 5 days for treatment.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I dont think it's coccidia. There's no blood in their poop, additionally you stated they are eating and drinking but not alot and they are running and trying to fly. Also you stated that they've had the symptoms for a week. If they had coccidia, they'd be dead by now. They wouldnt be eating nor drinking at all and be lethargic. Nor would they be running around and trying to fly. Perhaps they're chilled and if you put them under a heat lamp, you might see a difference. For 3 week old chicks, they normally should be exposed to 85 degree warmth.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agree with dawg53. Cocci are in the soil; if they are confined to a brooder and pine shavings, no soil, they haven't been exposed. They could be either too hot or too cold. In the heat of summer, mine fluff out their feathers and hold their wings away from their body.

You'll see a wide variety of poops in baby chicks. Here's a link to a poop chart (lots of pics):

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

7. cmcourt

cmcourt Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    Thank you everyone. I think what I will do then is switch to medicated feed for these three and try adjusting the brooder lamp and double checking it with a different thermometer.

I really appreciate the help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by