Is this coccidiosis medicine safe for chickens?

PheasantsFirst

Songster
6 Years
Jul 17, 2013
Eastern Washington
We just had a chicken die of what we believe to be coccidiosis. Will this medicine work/be safe for chickens?

Yes corid is approved for poultry.

Here:
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary...lDrugProducts/FOIADrugSummaries/ucm148849.htm

Personally I give 9.5 ml per gallon of water for 5 days, new solution mixed daily for freshness. This is their only drinking water. It is a thiamine blocker so they say not to give vitamins with corid administration.

Be aware there is a powder also with a different dosage, if you do search through the byc threads for dosage.

Liquid is much easier to use and you can give it orally if they aren't drinking enough. I use the liquid. Powder dose if you ever need to know is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
We just had a chicken die of what we believe to be coccidiosis. Will this medicine work/be safe for chickens?
That's what I have and I use 9.5ml to 10ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

The .006% dose for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The .006% dose for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

-Kathy

Note that the instructions on the bottle are for cattle and cattle get the .012% dose, not the .024% dose. 9.5 ml is the correct dose for a severe outbreak in poultry.

-Kathy

I've only had one obviously sick chicken.
They can suffer silently with gut pain and decreased future production. I would treat any chicken who came in contact with the poo of your sick chicken. Coccidiosis can kill within 24 hours and is considered an emergency.

If you are thinking maybe it wasn't coccidiosis, that is different. If you need advice on that, you can try posting the symptoms and see what people think.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I've only had one obviously sick chicken.

They can suffer silently with gut pain and decreased future production. I would treat any chicken who came in contact with the poo of your sick chicken. Coccidiosis can kill within 24 hours and is considered an emergency.

If you are thinking maybe it wasn't coccidiosis, that is different. If you need advice on that, you can try posting the symptoms and see what people think. :fl
I did post the other day and one or two people suggested it was. And the sick chicken's symptoms did match most of coccidiosis.

If you suspect Coccidiosis,then treat all birds,if one has it you can bet more do also. Treating with Amprolium will not harm birds,but not treating if they have coccidiosis,often will result in deaths.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom