Is this coccidiosis? Picture attached.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by undergroundchickens, Nov 7, 2010.

1. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I have some new chicks in quarantine and was wondering if this means they have coccidiosis? They act healthy other than several poops looking like this. If it is I have read Corid is the best to treat with? Can you purchase Corid locally or can you only get it from a vet? Also what is the dosage. The chicks have a small quart size waterer. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    If they are otherwise healthy, that looks to be harmless intestinal lining. They shed it in their poo. If it was Cocci I would suspect it after they were acting very sick. Lethargic, fluffed up, not really eating, non-social...and the bloody stools come in the advanced stages of the cocci so you would definetly notice that your chickens were sick.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Here's
    the "poo page." You can compare normal to abnl. poo.
    Doesn't look like cocci poo to me. But then it is just a picture and you are there- you can see it better. Check the poo page. I saw actual liquid blood in cocci poo when my flock had it.

Oh- also coccidiosis can be present without bloody poo. But they have intestinal pain and so you would notice something was wrong.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. aymer

aymer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    chickens are sweet:

when your chickens had coccidiosis did they all survive with treatment?

thanks, amy

5. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:No, one silkie died the day after I started treatment. She would stand there all puffed up, lethargic, and wouldn't eat or drink.

Also- I did force some water into her, but she was just in a downhill fast situation- that's the way coccidiosis is.

6. aymer

aymer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    san francisco, ca
    No, one silkie died the day after I started treatment. She would stand there all puffed up, lethargic, and wouldn't eat or drink.

Also- I did force some water into her, but she was just in a downhill fast situation- that's the way coccidiosis is.

thanks. i lost two birds from cocci two weeks ago and now i have two more sick... i used sulfasol the first time and i have corid coming in the mail tomorrow.​

7. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to put them on medicated chick starter just in case though. [​IMG]

8. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    Quote:No, one silkie died the day after I started treatment. She would stand there all puffed up, lethargic, and wouldn't eat or drink.

Last year I had a poultry judge ask me the best treatment for coccidiosis and her answer was that u should get it far away from your flock and bury it in a few garbage bags so your flock doesnt get it. So as far as I know it is untreatable

9. ChickensAreSweet

Last year I had a poultry judge ask me the best treatment for coccidiosis and her answer was that u should get it far away from your flock and bury it in a few garbage bags so your flock doesnt get it. So as far as I know it is untreatable

There were quite a few members of my flock with bloody poo- that went away after starting the Corid within 24 hours and they all survived fine. It is famous for being a "swift and deadly" disease though (I'm quoting ChooksChick I think).

10. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Medicated chick starter is NOT a treatment for coccidiosis; in fact, it doesn't always even prevent it. It is designed to lessen the cocci load a little. Cocci are in the soil everywhere. So it is a matter of keeping their little immune systems healthy. Even an older hen can succumb to it with a depressed immune system.

If one in the flock is shedding it in the poo in vast quantities, though, it is VERY contagious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by