Is this coccidiosis?

Csweaver

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2019
Is there any way this could just be intestinal lining shed? I’ve observed the birds all morning, no one is pooping this. They all act good- eating, drinking, playing, preening. They are 9 weeks and haven’t been eating anything except their chick starter (non-medicated) and grass. I have Corid but don’t want to use it if it’s unnecessary. Thanks for taking a look.

Attachments

• 19AAD8E8-6133-4F2E-8DFA-33DE563D2F2A.jpeg
    19AAD8E8-6133-4F2E-8DFA-33DE563D2F2A.jpeg
    753.2 KB · Views: 46
My adult flock is in a different, but adjacent pen… should I treat them, too? Or wait and see? I walk through their pen to get to and from the youngsters. Not the best set up, I know.
Someone told me that your adult flock is already immune to the coccidiosis strains in your area. So I would wait and see. Or at least until someone more helpful can come on and help you!🤪

Thank you. Probably smart to play it safe.
I would use the maximum dosage which is 10 ml or 2 tsp of the liquid Cori, or 1.5 tsp of the powder Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If you still see blood like that in droppings, you may want to contact your vet for additional medication.

My adult flock is in a different, but adjacent pen… should I treat them, too? Or wait and see? I walk through their pen to get to and from the youngsters. Not the best set up, I know.
Treat EVERYONE. Coccidiosis is a one celled organism that lives everywhere. Especially because your birds live in adjacent pens, if you don't treat the adults, another source of contamination is sitting right there waiting to recontaminate your baby flock.

The only way to find out if it is indeed coccidiosis is to look at the questionable feces on a slide under a microscope.

BUT - the Corid won't hurt anyone regardless of whether coccidiosis is present, and there is no egg-withdrawal time per the FDA, so there's no downside in treating all of them. Much better than confirming the diagnosis with a very sick or dead chick!!

Do make sure you do the 2nd round of Corid dose- Mark on a calender with today as your first treatment so you know when to start the 2nd treatment.

Back
Top Bottom