Is this Cocciodiosis? Should I treat now with Corid?

RNjoy17

Chirping
May 2, 2021
Hi all -

Last week I had 13 out of 14 chickens die from Coccidiosis. They were on day 4 of 5 of treatment with 9.6mls of Corid in 1 gallon, but unfortunately I had also been supplementing with electrolytes & vitamins, and did not find out until after that you should NOT supplement vitamins while doing Corid.

Today, I currently have a new group of 14 chicks that are roughly 2 weeks old and two of my BO's are slightly puffing their feathers. These two do have more feathers than the others, but when standing they are "puffed" out a little more. They seem to be running and interacting with the other chicks as normal, no signs of lethargy at this time. I do have the single 5 week old chick that survived the last "outbreak" in the same room, but in a different brooder and have been careful with "cross-contamination".

I have had this new batch of chicks for 6 days, they came from TSC. 7 BO's & 7 Blue Plymoth Rocks. They were started on Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower, and that is what I am currently feeding them now. Yesterday they did get upgraded to a larger brooder which I will attach a pic, and constantly have fresh water & food. Every other day I have been supplementing with a small amount of electrolytes.

I do still have liquid Corid on hand. Am I being too anxious? Should I separate the two that are "puffier"? Should I just leave them with the rest and treat all of them?

Thanks

This is my brooder set-up

The second pic is the best pic I could get of one of my BO’s being a little “puffier” than the others. There are two doing this

Attachments

• 5949034C-3C5A-4E83-8DE0-FDF90CC30A1B.jpeg
    5949034C-3C5A-4E83-8DE0-FDF90CC30A1B.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 28DD3A82-BD2B-46C3-B95F-9AE1BEC7948F.jpeg
    28DD3A82-BD2B-46C3-B95F-9AE1BEC7948F.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 14
Also, can I switch them now to medicated food? Will it hurt their digestive system if I do so? My idea would be to have them on medicated food until 5-6 weeks old and then go back to organic feed

If you have dealt with coccidiosis recently then I suggest treating all future birds, starting the day you bring them home, with Corid.

If you have dealt with coccidiosis recently then I suggest treating all future birds, starting the day you bring them home, with Corid.

Does it sound reasonable to do the 5 days treatment of 2 teaspoons/gal? I also have seen posts recommended a "preventative" dose to be given for 5-7 days after the initial 5 days of treatment - would you recommend that? It specifies a 1/2 teaspoon in a gallon for the preventative dose.

I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything bad and potentially "overdosing" them on Corid. Is that possible?

Does it sound reasonable to do the 5 days treatment of 2 teaspoons/gal? I also have seen posts recommended a "preventative" dose to be given for 5-7 days after the initial 5 days of treatment - would you recommend that? It specifies a 1/2 teaspoon in a gallon for the preventative dose.

I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything bad and potentially "overdosing" them on Corid. Is that possible?
You won't overdose them and if you have birds die from coccidiosis I highly recommend using the 2 teaspoons per gallon dose. Make a new batch daily.
Treat for the full 7 days.
I don't think the preventative dose you're talking about would hurt any and if you've already had the issue I would recommend using the preventative dose too.

You won't overdose them and if you have birds die from coccidiosis I highly recommend using the 2 teaspoons per gallon dose. Make a new batch daily.
Treat for the full 7 days.
I don't think the preventative dose you're talking about would hurt any and if you've already had the issue I would recommend using the preventative dose too.
Thank you so much for your reponses!

Back
Top Bottom