Is this coccoidosis? (Warning: poo pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blue_Myst, May 2, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    [​IMG]

My chicks are now 7 weeks old, and I found this out in the pen this morning. I've been keeping them in the old chicken run until they're big enough to be integrated into the permanent flock, so I knew they'd be exposed to cocci spores, but I fed them a cup to half a cup of medicated feed a day mixed with their regular food to help them build an immunity. I only took them completely off the medicated two or three days ago. So me and my poor judgment said that they had received enough immunity by now....I'm ready to kick myself [​IMG]

I should treat this with Sulmet, right? Should I go ahead and treat all of them, as a preventative?

Also, should I put them back on the medicated feed after I finish with the Sulmet?

Thank you for responding, I thought I was doing everything right with raising these chicks...until now.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    It is kind of iffy, sometimes a mild case can not be as easy to detect. The best for treatment is Corid (amporlium) most feed stores should have it.
    If I even suspect cocci I do a 5 Day treatment. I spoke to our State Vet about it, I was worried about using it with medicated feed.
    His statement is, Corid can't hurt if you suspect Cocci, also the medicated feed has such a small amount in it , it honestly is not going to absolutely prevent it.

4. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks to both of you! That link is very helpful! It does look more on the normal side...but if Corid doesn't really hurt them anyway I'll probably give them a bit of that as a preventative.

Also, if I give them Sulmet or an antibiotic if this worsens, will this affect the eggs that they will produce when they start laying a few months from now?

5. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    If your going to give them corid then follow it up with a probiotic like yogurt. Corid not only kills off bad but it will kill of good flora in the intestines causing that kind of poo.

If it was me I would not give the corid but I would give some probiotic and see what happens. It could be that they have consumed something to weaken their immunities causing intestinal upset.

6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    try some powdered milk in their feed first before resorting to chemicals, the poop is on the iffy side at best cocci looks much bloodier but it could be the begining of it.

just my 2 cents though.

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I've heard that Sulmet really doesn't do the trick. In my experience (which is quite limited) Corid is the trick. Mine started getting the bloody poop at 4 weeks, and i dosed them with the 5 day dose of Corid, and it cleared right up. I was then and still am feeding them the medicated feed, but i clearly doesn't fully prevent cocci outbreaks. Actually, the bloody poop was gone by the second day of Corid, but i continued giving it to them for four more days, to be thorough.

If you want to wait and confirm that it's cocci, i would give it a day or two. If it is cocci, you'll probably see more convincingly bloody poops. I know i did. [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Corid is a brand name for amprolium, the same med in medicated feed, and not an antibiotic.

In chickens, antibiotics are generally only used for serious injuries or when tests have shown a particular one is needed.

9. Blue_Myst

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm going to check tonight to see if I find more of this type of poo.

Thanks, everyone. I didn't even know about Corid until today!

I think for now I'll just give them some yogurt once or twice a day, and give a higher dose of vinegar in their water. If it gets worse, I'll put them on the Sulmet I have on hand until I can get out to buy the Corid.

Ok, I just checked again and there have apparently been no more poo like this. With Coccidiosis, is there usually blood in every poo?

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  10. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    coccidiosis is yes the runny bloody manure
    first day they stand humped up out of line with the other chicks
    and ONLY drink water
    soon the manure is watery
    they will die by the 4th day of acting like this
    so if they are humped up shivering and watery bloody droppings you need have the whole bunch on corid
    do get the corid NOW as some times it is hard to find
    it is a very good amproylium
    so you will be prepared

I prefer to feed
    natural probiotic wet mash
    2 qts of dry crumbls
    4 qts of milk sweet, sour, buttermilk
    1/2 cup of yoguart
    mix good and feed 3 tsp per chick once a day till they get over what ever is wrong with them
    only feed what they clean up in 20-30 minutes
    and clean wet feeder out and restock dry crumbles
    the amt in a gallon of water
    for apple cider vinegar is 2 tbsp
    use this only when not medicating birds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by