Is this cochin Lemon Blue?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenpiedpiper, Aug 1, 2010.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Songster

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Hello, I picked up this beauty at a swap, and love his coloring! She said it was a Blue/Red Cochin, well, he is that! But I cant find any other reference to this color, and want to know more about it, and what I should breed him to to produce more!

I am sorry the pics are all of his backside, but he realized I was following him and wouldnt let me get close! He is an even orangey red on the head and neck and chest, but all his under parts and tail are a lovely soft dove blue! not grey, but very blue! I believe he is going to be a rooster, for which I am glad, easier to spread the genetics around! So who would you cross him with, Blues? Reds? I have a couple blue laced red wyandottes, maybe I should develope a blue laced red cochin? Please give me your suggestions?

Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited the title to bring more responses.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Anyone?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No idea, but I would guess a cross between a blue and a buff. Beautiful though!

4. ekemily

ekemily Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    dunno, but he's beautiful!

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The coloring is what people are selling as "Lemon Blue". Mostly it's a cross between a buff bird and a blue bird, but a true lemon blue coloration is I "believe" made from brown red and not buff.

6. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Songster

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    lemon blue coloring!

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Yup, So Its a lemon blue but not a true lemon blue :)

8. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, but calling it "lemon blue" is somewhat misleading to the person purchasing birds. Why not call it Buff Blue instead of "Lemon blue"?

9. chickenpiedpiper

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Quote:Lemon blue! well allright!! I have been on a waiting list for almost a year for lemon blues!

BUT, what do you mean by "brown red, and not buff?' Since this was a color I have been trying to get, how do I improve it to a true lemon, rather than this orange blue? Not that he isnt pretty! but yellow and blue would be traffic stopping.

10. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I personally do not know much about the breeding of it, but know that brown-red birds are supposed to be used to get the proper coloration.

I believe RAREROO and Chris09 would know the specifics of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by