Is this color a possibility?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by CrazySilkieMama, Mar 16, 2017.

1. CrazySilkieMama

CrazySilkieMama Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia
    I'm new to the Silkie world and just recently acquired 3 1 week old Silkies. I was told that the hen was grey and the roo was partridge (red & white it looked to me but more white) yet my 3 chicks are black. Is this possible cause I had someone tell me it wasn't and now I'm worried I was taken advantage of. [​IMG]

These were the "parents"

[​IMG]

These are the chicks....all black with feathers on their feet & 5 toes.

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The hen is Blue. That means, she's genetically solid black with a single copy of the blue dilute gene, turning black to a grey color. Solid black is dominant over just about every other 'pattern'. Statistically, 50% of the chicks should be Blue and 50% should be black. But it's entirely possible to get a hatch of only black chicks.

3. CrazySilkieMama

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia

Thank you so much! I hope she told be the truth. In dogs I know that it's impossible for a dilute to produce a black cause you can't reverse the dilution but I'm so very new to the chickens and have no idea how the color genes work! Thank you very much hun!

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi crazysilkiemama,
    You need these three books. Cost about as much together as getting hips x-rayed and eyes checked on a stud dog. 2016 edition of standard of perfection from APA, 59.00 USD. Go to HTTP://www.chickencolours.com for Van Dort's Chicken Colours genetics book and the Chicken Extremities book
    Great references. On the whole, Poultry books are more expensive than dog books.
    Oh and I see Van Dort also has a new Silkie book out too!
    Best, Karen
    Bellwether Collies 1995-2009.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. CrazySilkieMama

Mar 15, 2017
    Virginia

Lol....the chicken world is more indepth than dogs it seems! Yes I OFA & Pennhip testing so I get what you're saying lol. Thank you so much! I will definitely check them out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by