Is this common for sellers ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sierra pachie bars, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    A very good friend of mine got me two Golden Maran chicks for my birthday. She asked for pullets but was told they are to young to tell. From what I read they can be sexed by color at hatching is that correct ? Also the lady met her outside at the gate, handing her a bag with the chicks. She paid 15.00 a chick. Just most of the people I have ran across have been very kind and I would think at 15.00 a chick she would be allowed to pick or at least be sure of sex. But then again I could be wrong. Once I find were my kids took my camera I will post some pictures so someone might be able to give me a guess on what sex these babies might be.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I can understand the care that was taken to keep people off the property where she had such birds. There is so much disease spread that way. But a little explanation would have been nice. I expect to wear clean clothes and shoes when I go to someone elses home to pick up little ones and have my shoes sanitized. I don't know about the sexing of such young chicks. It is not easy. I bought what me and the seller feel are the right ones. But if they aren't I sure don't hold them respondsible. Jean

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

At $15 dollars a chick, she should be able to afford some bio spray to spray the shoes of visitors. As well, instead of just bringing two chicks, she could have brought a variety to choose from. $15 for a chick is rather expensive especially when you have NO IDEA what they are going to grow up like.

However, it is her birds and her property so you can't fault her for her security measures.

4. randytheeggman

randytheeggman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    I get my chicks and pullets at a local feed store. The chicks are sexed and seperated by breed and cost $2.50 The pullets which are generally a cross betwn a white leghoorn and RI red are $9.95. I guess it differs area to area but I am in a small town that is know for gouging the public....go figure.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Yes, I agree she should had been better with her ways. I just was taking a chance to talk about the security we need now for our chicks and yards. Spray should be available. I agree and she should have been able to see where and how they were raised and possible see the parents. Jean

6. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    I was not there as they were a gift , but when my friend told me she was met at the gate and she handed her a bag and took money I was like whoa. I've not really ever bought chicks from a seller only a feedstore once. I now hatch whatever I want or am looking for. What I did find odd was that she told my friend she didn't know what sex they are. From reading Marans can be color sexed with good success. They are blackish upper body with yellow lower body right now.
    My friend also bought 30.00 in eggs from this person. Only three of 12 were fertile. [​IMG]

7. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Was it in Norco that she got them? If it was, it was nothing personal from what I have read about the seller's policies with Biosecurity. That is just how she does it.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/447699/poultry_farmers_say_theyre_ready_to_battle_bird_flu/

I had heard about a similar situation someone had had there and then later I read the above link. It made more sense, but a brief explanation to your friend ahead of time would have been polite. I don't know if I would have been comfortable making a purchase. I guess I'll stick with the feedstores and the shipments from the hatcheries.

Sorry, I don't know much about Maran chicks to comment on gender.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  8. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    Yes was Norco. But I do not know where in Norco.

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I edited my post above. It sounds like "Ham and Eggs Ranch" policies and pricing is why I asked. The website does not mention that she offers sexed chicks.

10. Sierra pachie bars

Nov 8, 2008
    I'm not sure if that is the place or not. But interesting article. I can understand the Bio- security.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by