Is This Common Practice?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mermaid, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Mermaid

Mermaid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Dunno if this is the right section of the forums but I had to ask it somewhere.

My uncle and his two children came out last weekend and were immediately enthralled with our chickens. They kept asking a question though about if we pray to them. I always just shrugged it off but near the end of their visit they told us of two families living in their town with chickens that believe the chickens make it easier to channel their "spiritual vibes"? So... they don't pray TO the chickens more like... at them I guess? Believing it helps God hear it better or something. I'm honestly rather ill informed on the matter. I tried googling it to see what the belief is and how widespread it is but I came up with pretty much nothing. I'd normally go "Well... that's one weird family" but since my uncle specifically mentioned TWO I figure it's got to be SOME kind of group or religion believing this. Can anybody shed any light on the matter for me? If it helps, my Uncle lives in Rock Springs Wyoming. Any light shed on the matter would be most enlightening.

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Chickstians?

3. Mermaid

Jul 10, 2009
    Is that a real thing?

4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

LOL I have no clue I was just tossing something out there [​IMG]

Sounds weird to me tho... but I was raised ultra consrevative christian so praying to anything but God/Jesus gives me the heebie jeebies [​IMG]

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Not sure, but i know some hispanic cultures do things like that, can't tell you the names though as i don't know. I just know some do...

6. Mermaid

Jul 10, 2009
    Oh yeah??? I might have to look into that... he didn't mention where they were from other than that they lived in his town.

7. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    [​IMG]

8. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Honestly, I think it sounds really COOKY....

[​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It sounds a bit disturbing to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by