Is this contageous?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlbkinor, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jlbkinor

jlbkinor Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    My 6 year old Buff Orpington (Liza Jane) was dead in the coop Sunday morning. She had been fine except for about a week would fall over a couple times a day and not be able to get up for about 30 seconds to a minute. Was eating fine, comb was red. We thought it was maybe an injury to her leg but could not find anything. Any thoughts anyone? I'm now worried it was some kind of contageous disease or something. I only have 3 other hens, same breed, one also 6 years old, two are 4 years old.

2. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    I wouldn't worry to much about the potential for a contagious disease, because if it was contagious your remaining hens are already infected after being together for a week with the ailing one. Just watch your flock carefully for any reoccurrence of the original symptoms. Six years old is quite a respectable age for a hen, and it's more likely it was just her time. I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm sure she'll be missed.

3. jlbkinor

jlbkinor Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Thank you farmtotable. She always was kind of an odd bird, had bulging eyes when she was a pullet which she finally grew out of. She was sweet though, loved to be held and patted. She is missed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by